Happy Business Starts Here

Valued Scholar

Syncing Auto-Renewals in Zuora with Salesforce Renewal Opportunity

So we are setting up our Salesforce and Zuora instance and one area where we are stuck is how to manage renewals. 

Zuora does a great job with auto-renew but we are trying to figure out what is the best way to get this renewal data into Salesforce.

I've seen it done where in Salesforce once a New Deal or a Renewal Opportunity is Won, an automatic renewal opportunity is created. What I do not no is how to sync that renewal opportunity to the auto-renew subscription in Zuora. We are trying to keep this as simple as possible but we also want to track our Customer Success teams renewal rate on their book of business which lives in Salesforce. 

Any ideas on what to do here? We are a subscription business with 1 year contracts for the most part. 

Here are my initial thoughts but not sure how to implement - Would appreciate any help around this

1. Salesforce Renewal Opportunity links to a auto-renew quote from Zuora

2. Zuora somehow creates renewal opportunities in Salesforce which are then closed/won automatically at time of auto-renewed. (If customer calls to not renew, Customer Success can go in and change the quote to cancel and not auto-renew) and mark closed/lost. 

15 REPLIES 15
Support SME

Re: Syncing Auto-Renewals in Zuora with Salesforce Renewal Opportunity

Hi @DataCamp_HM Is my understanding correct that you looking for the best way how to create a Renewal Opportunity when a subscription is Auto-Renewed on Zuora?

Thank you

Doyeli

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

Valued Scholar

Yes.

I am also trying to understand what is the best way to make Salesforce and Zuora work for renewals.

1. Does Zuora create renewal opportunities in Salesforce for upcoming renewals?

2. How can Salesforce be used as the vehicle for pushing forward a renewal?

3. How do you link a Salesforce Renewal Opportunity to Zuora? Is it via Subscription or Quote?

Guru

We have implemented our own auto renew process for exactly the problem you are facing.  The Auto-renewal in Zuora is not associated with Opportunities or Quotes so there is no vehicle for the customer support team to make changes.

We run a custom batch job in Salesforce to create the renewal opportunities and quotes ahead of the renewal date.

Maggie Longshore
Highlighted
Valued Scholar

Maggie, are you able to explain this further?

This seems like a possible solution and I'd love to learn how to implement it.

Maybe we can discuss via email?

Guru

See this thread for some additional information Code to create a renewal quote for subscription then you can ask more.

Basically I have a batch job that queries for subscriptions that will be renewed on a specific date and have other attributes I check to see if this customer's initial contract allows auto renewals. Then the opportunity and renewal quote are created.

An additional reason we have implemented this is because our customers are not obligated to renew and we do not want aging on their accounts in Zuora if they choose not to.

Maggie Longshore
Guru

sure

Maggie Longshore
Valued Scholar

I'd like to learn how to best explain this to my consultants. As a business we did not realize that the auto-renew in Zuora would not be helpful for us. 

Zuora subscriptions currently sync to Accounts in Salesforce

1. Are you saying we need to create custom code to first generate renewal opportunities X days in advance of a renewal date? Renewal date is derived as the contract end date on the zuora subscription.

2. The code then also creates a renewal quote that attaches to the renewal opportunity(fills in necessary opportuntiy fields as well) 

3. If it is auto-renew the opportunity will automatically send the quote to Z-Billing on renewal date and closed/won the opportunity (Is this automatic or will the Client Success Manager have to Send these auto-renewal opportunities for Approval and then finance would send to Z-Billing?)

4. If it is not auto-renew the Client Success manager will send the opportunity and quote for finance approval and finance will then send to Z-Billing and Closed/Won the opportunitiy or the Client Success Manager will mark it as Closed/Lost if no renewal.  

Guru

Zuora subscriptions currently sync to Accounts in Salesforce

1. Are you saying we need to create custom code to first generate renewal opportunities X days in advance of a renewal date? Renewal date is derived as the contract end date on the zuora subscription.

1a. this is what we do

2. The code then also creates a renewal quote that attaches to the renewal opportunity(fills in necessary opportuntiy fields as well) 

2a: Yes

3. If it is auto-renew the opportunity will automatically send the quote to Z-Billing on renewal date and closed/won the opportunity (Is this automatic or will the Client Success Manager have to Send these auto-renewal opportunities for Approval and then finance would send to Z-Billing?)

3a. No this is not automatic.  This would depend on your business processes. A subset of the renewals do get sent to z billing with a credit card charge from a custom batch job,  A subset of customers will go online and pay for the renewal with a web app we have created that will send the quote to Zuora.  We mail paper invoices to some customers and they will mail in a check.  The CSM can accept a credit card and send the renewal through as well. We only require approval if changes are done after the custom code creates the quote.  We do price uplift for some products and substitute some products as needed

4. If it is not auto-renew the Client Success manager will send the opportunity and quote for finance approval and finance will then send to Z-Billing and Closed/Won the opportunitiy or the Client Success Manager will mark it as Closed/Lost if no renewal.  

4a. We have a job that finance runs at a set number of days after the renewal and any subscriptions that have not been renewed are cancelled which in turn marks the Opp closed lost.

Also there are many situations that need to be addressed. Amendments quotes can be created  after the renewal creation making the renewal invalid,  A subscription can be canceled due to non payment of the current term before the renewal.  A lot of what needs to be done will depend on your business rules and what settings you are using in Zuora to configure quotes.

There may be other solutions such as Workflow or Zuora Connect that were not available when we started,  Also Zuora callouts can be used for some functions,

Maggie Longshore
Valued Scholar

How many days before a renewal do you generate your renewal opportunities? 90 days?

3a. No this is not automatic.  This would depend on your business processes. A subset of the renewals do get sent to z billing with a credit card charge from a custom batch job,  A subset of customers will go online and pay for the renewal with a web app we have created that will send the quote to Zuora.  We mail paper invoices to some customers and they will mail in a check.  The CSM can accept a credit card and send the renewal through as well. We only require approval if changes are done after the custom code creates the quote.  We do price uplift for some products and substitute some products as needed

So we will have renewals that have a credit card on file and renewals we need to send an invoice to. They can be auto-renewal or not. Ideally we would like the renewals set to auto-renew with credit cards and invoices to renew with as little involvement from the CSM in Salesforce. Ideally just automatically sent to Z-Billing on date of renewal and closed/won the opportunity unless the CSM unchecks auto-renew because customer doesn't want to renew or we are still negotiating renewal terms. Is this possible?

Also there are many situations that need to be addressed. Amendments quotes can be created after the renewal creation making the renewal invalid, A subscription can be canceled due to non payment of the current term before the renewal. A lot of what needs to be done will depend on your business rules and what settings you are using in Zuora to configure quotes. - I agree. If changes happen after the renewal creation the CSM would manually have to adjust the quote to reflect the change (i.e. customer bought 2 seats right before renewal on a co-termed basis. Need to add those two seats to the renewal).