Happy Business Starts Here

Zuora Alumni

Cannot use the same mergefield outside of table

Problem: I have a mergefield <InvoiceItem.RatePlanName> that I would also like to use outside of the InvoiceItem table.   However, I get the below error when attempting to use it outside the table.

InvoiceItem.RatePlanName field must be placed within the table start TableStart:InvoiceItem and end TableEnd:InvoiceItem.

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

2 REPLIES 2
Zuora Alumni

Re: Cannot use the same mergefield outside of table

Solution:  Our system does not allow you to use the same mergefield outside of the table.   However, you can use the reference function in Microsoft Word to accomplish this task.   Below are the steps on how to reference.

1. Find the mergefield you would like to show at another location of your Word doc.

2. Left click at the empty space to the right of the mergefield and leave button down.  

3. Drag to the left until you fully highlight the mergefield(see below).

reference.png

4. Click the "Insert" tab in Word.

5. Click the "BookMark" option.

6. Under "Bookmark Name", create a name for the bookmark and click the "Add" button.

reference2.png

7. Go to the location where you would like to have that mergefield value appear.  

8. Click on "QuickParts" and choose "Field".

9. Scroll down in the "Field Name" section and choose "Ref"

10. In the "Bookmark Name" section, click on the name of the bookmark you created in step #6 and click "Ok" button.

reference3.png

11. Below is an example of putting the referencing the <InvoiceItem.RatePlanName> outside the table.  In this case, it was placed under the InvoiceItem Table.

reference4.png

12. Below is the result when the the invoice was generated via PDF or WORD.  You can now see the same value outside the table.

reference5.png

Highlighted
Zuora Alumni

Re: Cannot use the same mergefield outside of table

Hey Robert, 

This is awesome... many times the customers ask for this... Thank you!