Happy Business Starts Here

Support SME

Rate Plan Name Change

We are doing an audit on our active customers and their rate plans and I noticed a few have rate plans that do not exist.

Is it possible that the customer subscribed to the rate plan and then the rate plan name was changed? Would the name change carry down to the subscription?

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

3 REPLIES 3
Support SME

Re: Rate Plan Name Change

The name change would not carry down to any subscriptions that have already inherited the original name, only those subscriptions created after the name change.

For example:

Product Rate Plan: PRP123

• is added to new Subscription ABC, therefore the Rate Plan would be named PRP123

Then, Product Rate Plan: PRP123 is renamed as PRP789

• when added to new Subscription XYZ, the Rate Plan would be named PRP789
  • however, existing Subscription ABC while using the same Rate Plan, would still be name PRP123

The reason for this behavior is due to how the Subscription inherits that Product Rate Plan. When that rate plan exists in your Product Catalog, it is called a PRODUCT RATE PLAN. However, when added to a Subscription, its becomes a SUBSCRIPTION RATE PLAN (or just RATE PLAN) which is independent of the original PRODUCT RATE PLAN and has it's own unique ID.

Savvy Scholar

Is it possible to update the existing subscriptions with the new rate plan name. I have tried using connect and it tells me the name field is not updateable.

Highlighted
Zuora Support Moderator

@PaulOSull  - the short answer is no on the naming.

Here's why: because the subscription has inherited values from the product catalog at a particular point in time, all the details associated (like the rate plan name, for example) are grandfathered in for historical tracking purposes.

The only way to get the new name reflected on existing subscriptions is to do a "remove product" amendment and then a "new product" amendment to bring back in the same charge with the updated name.

Connect Developer Tools can help you do this with the amendment loader, however I usually warn folks that this is a project and should be done with care since removing and adding things mid-term may cause prorations lines that you would have to explain to customers. While the value of the charge change should net out to zero, sometimes the end customer may still get confused.