Happy Business Starts Here

Valued Scholar

How to best determine the service period of a given charge

Hi,

I wanted to understand what is the best way to determine the service period for a given charge. For instance, if the charge is amended throughout it's life cycle, the segments each carry it's own start/end period. Thus, in our use case, we want to determine when that charge first started and when it actually ends. Currently, the way we have done this is:

for new product amendments, using the service activation date of the charge to indicate when it started

for remove product amendments, we use the servive activation date to indicate the end of the charge

In both cases, we are looking at the latest subscription version.

However, in the above scenario, the use case breaks down if the new product amendment is later amended (i.e. updated product amendment) and thus in the latest subscription version, the charge is associated to the update product amendment and not the new product amendment and thus incorrectly reports the start date.

Would using the charge's trigger date work if all charge trigger dates align to the service activation date? i.e. we use the minimum charge's start date and use the end date on the latest segment of the charge?

Will that always work for both recurring and one time charges?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: How to best determine the service period of a given charge

I came across a similar issue -- I need to determine the amount of time a customer has been on our file in days -- do you know if the value fields able to do math the same way a pivot table within excel would be able to? In layman's terms the below is what needs to be done, which sounds similar to the first part of your thread:

I need to capture customer by rate plan and service activation date, cancel dates, and the number of days since their initial activation date, despite any ammendments that were made (E.g. upgrade to a longer-term plan, downgrade to a shorter plan) which still counting the amount of subscriptions I have LTD. I realize that the data may not exist within the same data table to make this possible in the same report. Thanks in advance, and sorry to jump in here.