Happy Business Starts Here

Suspend/Resume functionality and Order Metrics

Highlighted
Master

Suspend/Resume functionality and Order Metrics

In a meeting that I had with some product and technical folks at Zuora back in July, they let us know that Order Metrics didn't yet work with the Suspend/Resume functionality in ZFinance, but the fix for that would happen in August.  Has that fix happened?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES
Zuora Staff

Re: Suspend/Resume functionality and Order Metrics

No, the release slipped, it's currently scheduled for December. If you have our Workflow add on we can give you a couple of workflows that replicate the suspend/resume functionality and that will work today, but if you don't have Workflow alrady, and since Workflow has an extra charge to acquire, you're probably best waiting for that December release. Again, I have to stress for various legal and management reasons, that's the current schedule, not a guarantee or commitment.  

Master

Ahhh, gotcha Richard, thanks for the info. I apologize for not already having this, but is there a link you can send me that explains what is the repercussions of it NOT working with Order Metrics?  Like does it just not show up in the reporting...or what?  Smiley Happy  Thank you!

Heidi

Zuora Staff

When you turn on Order Metrics the ability to create suspend/resume amendments vanishes! So if you have any suspended subscriptions you can't resume them! So if you want to head down this path you need to resume all suspended subscriptions, enable Order Metrics, then go deal with the "subscriptions that should be suspended but now aren't". The lack of support for suspend/resume was always intended to be temporary so I suspect this rather blunt approach was the quickest solution, not the best solution.

And so more obviously with order metrics enabled you can't suspend subscriptions any more and you are left having to deal with this issue using one of the two 'old' techniques we recommended to customers that needed suspend/resume functionality prior to our having out of the box support. The two choices are to either simply cancel instead of suspend and create a new subscription when the resume happens OR keep the subscription but remove and then later add back all the rate plans. The later solution is preferred (since the same subscription continues to persist during the 'suspension') but it's harder to implement if you have subscriptions with lots of rate plans. 

The subscriptions themselves aren't impacted by enabling orders or order metrics, orders is 'just' a new way of manipulating the subscriptions but the subscription and subscription versions all remain and are unchanged. Order metrics is an entire 'add on' set of data sources that provide much richer data on the changes including net mrr and a better and more accurate total billing metric (TCB) that should be used instead of TCV. Another key improvement is that the delta MRR and TCB metrics are more accurate and complete (for example delta MRR is always zero for unknown reasons with a cancellation, this is fixed with order metrics). 

Master

That's a huge bummer, but thanks for the information Richard.  May I ask how I can "vote" for this to be included in the December release?

We already do the "cancel" and "new subscription" method for suspend/resume, and it messes up a LOT of other related things that we were looking forward to cleaning up by using the native Suspend/Resume functionality.  If this isn't included in the December release, then we may need to come up with a different workaround altogether, which is not ideal.  Please let me know if I can help ensure that this is included in that release.

Thanks!