Happy Business Starts Here

Re: [KNOWN ISSUE]: Intermittent Bill Run error causing invoices to be cancelled by Avalara

Zuora Staff

[KNOWN ISSUE]: Intermittent Bill Run error causing invoices to be cancelled by Avalara

Known error: There has been an error in the API call to Avalara. Unexpected exception happened when call Avalara serivce.

Update: The error has been occurring since 19th of January. However, it is very intermittent and doesn't happen to all Bill Runs. The current workaround is to retry at a later time. Both of our engineering team are working tiredlessly to resolve this ASAP. Once we have an agreeable solution we will provide more update and RCA to follow. Thank you for your patience and understanding. 

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Zuora Staff

Re: [KNOWN ISSUE]: Intermittent Bill Run error causing invoices to be cancelled by Avalara

Avalara RCA:

After a detailed analysis with our partners at Avalara, we have concluded that recent bill run interruptions were caused by unsynchronized multi-threaded file access in Avalara's batch tax calculation service. Under periods of heavy load, the service would attempt to start processing a batch file before the file handle had been opened completely, causing the processing thread to fail. Avalara's engineering team was able to identify and reproduce this issue. They have subsequently deployed a fix that should address this problem and prevent future reoccurrences. We regret any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √