Happy Business Starts Here

Highlighted
Support SME

How to configure Tax when different companies with different addresses selling same product?

I have 4 standalone companies with 4 different origin addresses in my Avalara account and all of these 4 companies are selling same product.

How to setup the tax code/product to make that happen?

SigNowBlue.png

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

2 REPLIES 2
Support SME

Re: How to configure Tax when different companies with different addresses selling same product?

We could use Company Code at Account Level to make it work.

1. Create Company Code for each of the Avalara account in Tax Engine:
CompanyCode-1, CompanyCode-2, CompanyCode-3, CompanyCode-4

Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 15.51.17.png 

2. Create one Tax Code with below setting:
Tax Code Name: Z-DC010500 (or any name you'd like to use)
Tax Engine: Avalara
Avalara Company Code: CompanyCode-1(it could also be any of the other 3 company codes)
Avalara Tax Code: DC010500

Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 16.02.17.png

3. Create one Product-A with below setting:
Taxable: checked
Tax Code: Z-DC010500

Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 16.02.50.png

4. Create Customer Account for each of the Avalara account with specify the field "Tax Company Code" as below:
CustomerAccount-1 -> CompanyCode-1
CustomerAccount-2 -> CompanyCode-2
CustomerAccount-3 -> CompanyCode-3
CustomerAccount-4 -> CompanyCode-4

Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 16.03.21.png

By design, the company code specified at Account level will override the company code specified at Tax Code level.

When CustomerAccount-3 subscribes Product-A and an invoice is generated, the value of "Tax Code" and "Company Code"  sent to Avalara would be "DC010500" and "CompanyCode-3", so accordingly, Avalara would process with the correct tax code and the correct origin address.

If there is no Company Code specified at Account level, then the Company Code specified in Tax Code will be used.

SigNowBlue.png

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

Valued Scholar

Re: How to configure Tax when different companies with different addresses selling same product?

Hello Yolanda,

Does the System still work like this?

My question is as follows -

1. Lets assume we have offices on 3 locations - US, UK and Australia

2. We can set up  3 Company Codes on Zuora, when we setup the external tax engine. But in Avalara there will still be one Account right? And should we define company codes in Avalara and use that code to map to in Zuora when we create the same?

3. We can define the tax codes on on Zuora Billing settings but use any company code on each.

4. on the product charges we assign the tax codes. 

5. On Customer acount in Zuora we set the Company Code to each Account. This overides the company code defined on the product catalog and will be used when the information is passed to Avalara for tax calculation

Is my understanding correct?