Happy Business Starts Here

Highlighted
Valued Scholar

Unable to create a customer account and subscription

Hello, 

I am following the Getting Started guide: https://www.zuora.com/developer/quick-start/

I have translated the following curl request to Postman: 

curl -X POST \
-H "apiAccessKeyId: $your-zuora-username" \ -H "apiSecretAccessKey: $your-zuora-password" \ -H "Content-Type: application/json" \ -d '{ "name":"ABC Unlimited",  "currency":"USD",  "billToContact":{    "firstName":"Leo", "lastName":"Liu"  },  "soldToContact":{      "firstName":"Leo",      "lastName":"Liu",      "state":"CA",   "country":"USA" },  "creditCard":{    "cardType":"Visa",    "cardNumber":"4111111111111111",    "expirationMonth":10,    "expirationYear":2020,    "securityCode":"111"  }, "subscription":{    "contractEffectiveDate": "2016-10-01",    "termType":"TERMED",    "autoRenew":false,    "initialTerm":12,    "renewalTerm":12,    "subscribeToRatePlans":[      {        "productRatePlanId": "$your-product-rateplan-id"      }    ]  } }' "https://rest.apisandbox.zuora.com/v1/accounts"

I enter the ProductRatePlanId and I always receive the following response:

{
  "success": false,
  "processId": "00EC6587F78B9974",
  "reasons": [
    {
      "code": 51000010,
      "message": "Subscription api cannot be used when order is enabled."
    }
  ]
}

I have tried using the Product Id as well. The previous request to get this information is also from the guide: 

curl -X GET \
-H "apiAccessKeyId: $your-zuora-username" \ -H "apiSecretAccessKey: $your-zuora-password" \ "https://rest.apisandbox.zuora.com/v1/catalog/products"

Google also yields no results for the error message, and using cURL yields the same response.

Any ideas as to what is wrong or what I may be missing? I have set up a fresh Test Drive Tenant account / environment.

3 REPLIES 3
Zuora Documentation

Re: Unable to create a customer account and subscription

Hi himanshuonscale,

The following error message indicates that your tenant has the Orders feature enabled. Currently, when Orders is enabled, Subscribe/Amend APIs cannot be used, "Post account" in the quick start is one of them. See Orders API Migration Guidance for more information.

"message": "Subscription api cannot be used when order is enabled."

For tutorials on the Orders API, please see the "Use the REST API" section in Orders Tutorials. Hopefully, this helps.

Valued Scholar

Hi Yifang,

Thanks for the reply!

It seems kind of ridiculous to me that a freshly created test tenant environment would have the Orders setting enabled as it doesn't allow you to proceed through the Getting Started guide. The only steps I have taken so far are: creating the test tenant environment, and following the getting started guide. 

I'm still unsure how to proceed, do I need to disable this Order setting in order to proceed with the getting started guide?

Zuora Documentation

Hi himanshuonscale,

The quick start is only designed to be followed for Zuora Test Drive tenants. Since Orders is enabled in the tenant you just created, it sounds like you may have created a Zuora Labs tenant, not a Test Drive tenant. It that is the case, the quick start is unfortunately not applicable. However, there is a separate reference for getting started with Zuora Labs. See here.

We appreciate that it's confusing that the quick start isn't useful in all situations. We are planning to work on improving the quick start.