Happy Business Starts Here

Zuora Support Moderator

How to upgrade a customer during the middle of a free trial

Question: During a two-week free trial (14-days), we have some customers that wish to purchase during that free trial period. Ideally, we'd like the subscription to start immediately and have that be the new start of the official subscription. How can we accomplish this given the fact that we originally set our product to start triggering upon the Service Activation date? 

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

1 REPLY 1
Zuora Support Moderator

Re: How to upgrade a customer during the middle of a free trial

Response: For this particular scenario, here are the facts:

• Customer will start a free trial on 1/26/2018 (contract effective date)
  • The customer is not supposed to be billed until 2/9/2018 (service activation date)
  • The way the customer is set up, the charge's billing day is set to default from the customer account (in this case, the billing day on the account level is the 9th to mirror the original service activation)
  • rpc1.png
  • On 2/2/2018, the customer wishes to upgrade immediately to the full version.

Here's how to take care of this:

1) Because billing has not yet to occur, you still have the ability to edit the Activation Dates.

Go into the subscription and click on the Set Activation Date button. The following screen will appear:

rpc2.png

Change the Service Activation and Customer Acceptance Date to 2/2/2018

2) Now you will need to make a change which will change when the subscription ends– which should now be changed to the 2nd of the following year instead of the 9th. To do that, you will need to do a Terms and Conditions (T&C) Amendment. Update the term start value to update the end date. When you set the contract and service activation dates for this, make sure to set it to 2/2/2018.

rpc3.png

3) The third step is now to update the customer’s bill cycle day at the account level.
This is because you have the subscription set to “default from customer account” for the rate plan charge billing day. If you leave it as is, it will use the 9th as the billing day.

rpc3.5.PNG

If you don’t make the change, the bill will be the right amount, but you’ll see it does a funky proration:

rpc4.png

What you want is this (single line with the term correctly displayed to start this initial billing):

rpc5.png

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √