Happy Business Starts Here

Zuora Staff

Rollover Overage Smoothing Model. Missing rollover units.

I want to convert a subscription into Zuora that uses the Overage model. As such, I need to also migrate in the existing available rollover balance so that when I start billing in Zuora, it takes into account any usage I might have accrued in my legacy system. Here was the strategy we tried:

1.Migrate subscriptions to start 1/1/18 with an existing available rollover balance (from historical usage in legacy system) of 140

2.I've created a rollover product in my Zuora sandbox (tenant 13548) called "Usage Rollover" where I charge $100/mo recurring which includes 100 units of rollover.

3.I migrate my new subscription into Zuora and instead of included units = 100, I change that to be 240 to show that it's actually 100 units included plus the 140 that is available as rollover.

ChargeAmount1.jpg

4.I then create a future dated amendment (to start 2/1/2018) that changes the included units BACK to 100 (which is what it should be as part of the contract agreement). It will remain at 100 for all future billing periods.

ChargeAmount2.png

5.Then I load usage for January, February and March, and create bill runs for each of those billing periods

Rollover Balance.png

6.As you can see, I should NOT be invoiced for any overage in February or March because the customer has enough included units. However, when I invoice in April (for March usage), I should be charged $10 overage because I used 130 but had 120 in rollover available. However, Zuora thinks my included units (or rollover?) balance is 100 - not 120 - and charges me $30 for the 130 units I used in March.

Why does it reset?

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

1 REPLY 1
Zuora Staff

Re: Rollover Overage Smoothing Model. Missing rollover units.

The rollover is not carry-over month after month.

The rollover is calculated based on the available units in the contract ( 100 ) - we first use the based units, then the rollover units.

In your test case, in February, you have consumed all the 100 units ( available as per the contract ), and  we don't have any rollover unit in March for the April invoice ( to bill the March usages ).

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √