Happy Business Starts Here

Error Message: 54 -- The referenced transaction does not meet the criteria for issuing a credit

Highlighted
Community Manager

Error Message: 54 -- The referenced transaction does not meet the criteria for issuing a credit

See Reply

Subscribe to Zuora System Updates at Zuora Trust
Follow Zuora Global Support on Twitter and LinkedIn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Error Message: 54 -- The referenced transaction does not meet the criteria for issuing a credit

Question or Problem Statement:

I need to refund a customer $300, but I've only been able to refund 4 of the 6 invoices for $50 each. Here's the error message that I'm receiving:

Gateway Response Message: 54 -- The referenced transaction does not meet the criteria for issuing a credit.

Can you please advise what this actually means and what the criteria is for issuing a $50 refund?

Solution:

In Zuora, a payment can be refunded at any time and there is no limitation. However, for electronic payments, the timeframe to refund a payment is primarily controlled by the payment gateway ("gateway"). Typically, a payment can be refunded for up to 90 days, but every gateway is different and some gateways do not allow refunds after 30 days. Some payment gateways can also have a longer time limit, depending on how the refund is performed.

The error mentioned is returned by Authorize.net gateway.  The link included below will help you better understand error messages returned by the gateway.

In the case of failed refunds, the following information is provided by the link:

• Response Reason Code: 54
  • Response Reason Text: The referenced transaction does not meet the criteria for issuing a credit.
  • Integration Team Suggestions: The referenced transaction does not meet the criteria for issuing a credit. It may be unsettled, an invalid type, the wrong currency, an invalid reference transaction ID or settled more than 120 days ago.

Check the date of creation for the payment that the refund is being attempted against.  If the payment has settled over 120 days ago, you may process these refunds directly in the gateway console and record them in Zuora as external refunds instead.

Supporting References:

Refunds

Authorize.net Response Reason Code Tool

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Error Message: 54 -- The referenced transaction does not meet the criteria for issuing a credit

Question or Problem Statement:

I need to refund a customer $300, but I've only been able to refund 4 of the 6 invoices for $50 each. Here's the error message that I'm receiving:

Gateway Response Message: 54 -- The referenced transaction does not meet the criteria for issuing a credit.

Can you please advise what this actually means and what the criteria is for issuing a $50 refund?

Solution:

In Zuora, a payment can be refunded at any time and there is no limitation. However, for electronic payments, the timeframe to refund a payment is primarily controlled by the payment gateway ("gateway"). Typically, a payment can be refunded for up to 90 days, but every gateway is different and some gateways do not allow refunds after 30 days. Some payment gateways can also have a longer time limit, depending on how the refund is performed.

The error mentioned is returned by Authorize.net gateway.  The link included below will help you better understand error messages returned by the gateway.

In the case of failed refunds, the following information is provided by the link:

• Response Reason Code: 54
  • Response Reason Text: The referenced transaction does not meet the criteria for issuing a credit.
  • Integration Team Suggestions: The referenced transaction does not meet the criteria for issuing a credit. It may be unsettled, an invalid type, the wrong currency, an invalid reference transaction ID or settled more than 120 days ago.

Check the date of creation for the payment that the refund is being attempted against.  If the payment has settled over 120 days ago, you may process these refunds directly in the gateway console and record them in Zuora as external refunds instead.

Supporting References:

Refunds

Authorize.net Response Reason Code Tool

View solution in original post