Happy Business Starts Here

Unable to add values to custom field of type picklist

Highlighted
Guru

Unable to add values to custom field of type picklist

Similar to this discussion Unable to edit picklist, I am receiving an error trying to add a picklist value to a custom field on our sandbox.

When I attempt to save I get the following warning:

Please note that if you have changed the API name, you may affect existing integrations. Are you sure you want to proceed?

So I do not continue because I do not want to break anything.

What happens is that when I display the field it's api name is CustomFieldName__c. When I hit Enter the API Name edit box displays CustomFieldName. I assume the __c is removed on purpose.

I add the picklist value then press save and I get the above warning; note that I have not edited the API Name in the box.

I tried again adding the __c to the API Name and recieved the same warning. (I realize this would not be a solution, just was seeing if I got same message)

Is this a bug?  Is it ok to confirm the warning and save the new picklist values?

Maggie Longshore
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Zuora Support

Re: Unable to add values to custom field of type picklist

Greeting - When "viewing" the custom field, its API Name has '__c'.  When "editing" the field, '__c' is hidden by design.  Upon saving it and back to viewing, '__c' will be added again.  Therefore, you do not need to manually add '__c' to API Name field.  If you do so, the actual name will have `__c__c`.

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

Highlighted
Guru

Yes I know that but why does it give me the error?

Maggie Longshore
Highlighted
Guru

I have always received this warning. It always states "Please note that _if_ you have..." I always read that as a general FYI to alert you that changing the API name could result in broken integrations.

I will admit that it would more user friendly to only show it if the API name has been changed. (Right now even if you click edit and save after making no changes it shows up)

Highlighted
Guru

Also wanted to add that this message appears on all custom fields, not just picklists.

Highlighted
Guru

Thanks @feisley I did not know it appears on all - I am very rarely in Zuora so this was my first encounter. I work primarily in Salesforce.

Maggie Longshore
Highlighted
Guru

The warning should only display if you are actually changing the field name. 

Maggie Longshore