Happy Business Starts Here

Highlighted
Guru

What Salesforce License type do you use for Salesforce Credentials

What type of license should I be using for Zuora to talk to Salesforce?

We currently use a System Admin profile and role with a Salesforce license.

I would like to limit the permissions used and possibly switch to a Salesforce Platform account and am curious what approaches other customers have used.

Maggie Longshore
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Guru

Re: What Salesforce License type do you use for Salesforce Credentials

@MaggieL I do not believe a Platform license would work since the Platform license does not include access to Opportunities which are used by the quoting system. For example, in some cases the API user is used to attach PDFs to the opportunity. It may be possible to skirt these issues with custom code, but I would strongly advise testing as my gut says 'here be dragons'.

We dont use the System Administrator profile. We have a System API User profile that we grant to most of our API accounts and then grant specific permissions for Zuora objects via a permission set. This allows us to have one profile with the common 'api user' permissions. Then we expand the access via app specific permission sets (i.e. for Zuora, Docusign, etc)

Highlighted
Guru

The quoting system is all in Salesforce and doesn't use the Salesforce User from Zuora. (Am I wrong @feisley?)  I do not think the Opportunity would ever be touched during a Z360 sync as we do not roll anything up to an Opportunity from the Zuora objects.

We do roll up to the Salesforce Account. So I need to check there.  I think the only time I touch an Opportunity from an Account trigger is if the ownership is change or the account is being merged.

We have to add several API users for other integrations so I am looking to consolidate the licenses and limit the scope of what they can access.

It is good to know they do not require to be admins.  These were set up before I started so I've been hesitant to change them.

Maggie Longshore
Highlighted
Guru

@MaggieL It is mostly all in Salesforce and you are correct that 360 sync does not directly touch the restricted objects for a Platform license. The one notable exception is that I have seen the API user used to attach the PDFs to the Opportunity when you generate them from within Salesforce. The specifics are a bit murky as it also sometimes uses the user that clicked on generate PDF.

Best I can tell there is some logic in the PDF generation that attempts to use the user session that clicked on "Generate PDF". This calls and external web service (zforsf.zuora.com) that generates the PDF and uses the API to attach it to the Opportunity. It seems to soemtimes use the Zuora API to do this attachment but I am not sure exactly under what conditions this occurs.

Perhaps @nathanc or @eric-neto could share some insight here.