Happy Business Starts Here

Honor Student

Visibility for Subscription object in SFDC when accounts use private security

We are implementing Zuora, and we utilize a private sharing model for our Accounts in Salesforce, granting additional access as needed via Account Teams and Sharing Rules.

The challenge we have is that there is no apparent way for the Zuora Subscription object to inherit visibility settings from the Account.  It appears that we have to either set the sharing settings for the Subscriptions to enable public read, or live with the fact that anybody cross covering an Account will not have access to see the subscription object.  (Hint: the second option isn't really viable for our business)

Has anybody out there encountered this issue and potentially found another solution?

Many thanks in advance for any insight!

6 REPLIES 6
Support SME

Re: Visibility for Subscription object in SFDC when accounts use private security

Hi @sbradley,

Thank you for your insightful query.

We'll certainly have a closer look at your question, and see if there's a suitable solution or workaround for it.

Thanks for voicing your query in our Zuora Community Smiley Happy

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

Support SME

Re: Visibility for Subscription object in SFDC when accounts use private security

Hi @sbradley,

For clarification purposes, could you please elaborate on what you'd like to achieve, so that we have a better understanding of it?

Hope to hear back from you soon

Highlighted
Honor Student

Apologies for the delayed repsonse - I didn't get notified that there was any update to my thread!  

What we are trying to do is have sales people only see the accounts that they should have access to - i.e., those they own, that their team owns, and that have been explicitly shared with them.  This is based on the SFDC Role Hierarchy, but there can be exceptions granted by using Groups, and Account Teams.  We want for the Zuora Subscription records to align exactly with the visibility of the Account record in SFDC, so anybody who can see the Account can see the subscription, but those who can't see an account should not be able to run reports out of SFDC that include the related subscriptions.

SFDC allows the inheriting of permissions for objects that are related in a parent/child relationship, but the Zuora subscriptions use a "lookup" relationship with the Account.  

We can't currently find a way to get around this.  We are stuck with either opening up the permissions on the Subscription object, which allows wide ranging reporting of financially indicative information for our business, or locking it down, which doesn't allow folks who are part of the Account team to be able to see those subscriptions.

Hopefully that helps to clarify exactly what we're facing here.

Regards,

Scott Bradley

Support SME

Thank you very much Scott for the detail.

I will research on this further and get back to you as soon as I have more information on how this can be achieved.

Regarding you not getting notification, can you please check your profile setting?.

Please review the following and make sure "Automatically subscribe me to topics or reviews I participate in" is checked?

https://community.zuora.com/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/user-preferences

Thank you
Doyeli

Support SME

Hi Scott,

Sorry, it took me a while to get back to you on this.

I reached out to one of our salesforce expert and got the following response:

"A simple lookup relationship between two objects does not drive access as you have noticed, there is no implicit sharing unlike for the standard parent/child or for the master-detail relationship, so for me the option is to programmatically share based on an Apex trigger development.

To reflect the security settings of the Account that are probably Private, with some sharing schemes only, the Subscription should also be set to "Private" with the access granted at users' profile level, or through permission sets if they want to be even more restrictive.

To share programmatically the relevant account-related subscription records, then the Account Team should be automatically added through a trigger to what we is called the "sharing table" of that Subscription custom object, by using the share object associated with the Subscription custom object, i.e. Subscription__Share, any Apex developer will know about this."

I think it will be a good idea for you to reach out to salesforce forum, in parallel, and see if they can provide any other suggestions.

Thank you for your patience

Doyeli

Guru

Has anyone implemented the ideas suggested here?

We are about to merge several salesforce instances and will need to start restricting access to Zuora objects for different groups of users.

We would like to let everyone see the salesforce account but restrict which billing accounts are visible from the account page and of course all of the subscription, payment, invoice data, etc are only visible for those that can see the Zuora Billing Account.

Ideas?

Maggie Longshore