Happy Business Starts Here

Highlighted
Zuora Support

Understand how subscription's Next Charge Date works in Salesforce

Sometimes I see subscription's Next Charge Date is synced from Zuora to Salesforce correctly when an invoice is created.  Sometimes Next Charge Date is not updated at all when there is a new invoice.  How do I make sure that Next Charge Date is always correct in Salesforce?

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

3 REPLIES 3
Zuora Support

Re: Understand how subscription's Next Charge Date works in Salesforce

Here is an explanation on how Next Charge Date works.

• When a subscription is created and synced to Salesforce for the first time, its Next Charge Date will be populated in Salesforce.

• When an invoice is generated for the subscription, the subscription's Next Charge Date is changed in the backend. However, it does not get synced to Salesforce because the subscription's Updated Date does not get changed when an invoice is created.

• This is where we have a special feature that can help. When this feature is enabled, subscription's Updated Date WILL get updated when an invoice is generated. As a result, the new Next Charge Date is synced to Salesforce.  Please note that it will increase your sync time as more data would be synced.  If you are interested in enabling this feature for your tenant, please reach out to Zuora Support.
  • When a subscription is amended, a new version of the subscription is created, the new Next Charge Date will be synced to Salesforce.

Here is an example to illustraight how Next Charge Date is set/updated and synced to Salesforce (without the special feature).

• A 12-month subscription, term = 01/01/2017 - 12/31/2017, is created and invoiced for the first month, 01/01/2017 - 01/31/2017, in Zuora.  The Next Charge Date would be 02/01/2017.  The subscription is synced to Salesforce for the first time.  Its Next Charge Date in Salesforce is 02/01/2017 as well.
  • The subscription is then invoiced for the second month, 02/01/2017 - 02/28/2017, and its Next Charge Date would be 03/01/2017 in Zuora.  However, the Next Charge Date in Salesforce is still 02/01/2017. (As explained above, an invoice generated does not refresh the subscription's updated date, so the sync does not sync its latest state to Salesforce.)
  • An amendment is made to the subscription to increase its price (e.g., effective dates can be any date).  Since the amendment actually creates a new subscription version, the new version is synced to Salesforce.  As a result, the subscription's Next Charge Date is changed to 03/01/2017 in Salesforce.

Guru

I'll be reaching out to Zuora Support to get the special feature enabled.  But does Zuora think that it would be in it's best interest to have this enabled by default.  It would be best practice to have good data integrity between Zuora and Salesforce.  I noticed that this hasn't been brought up in the Ideas section.  Does Zuora have this on their roadmap to implement?  I'm sure there's consideration regarding the increased sync times.

Zuora Support

Hey @ehavens,

Hope you are doing great!
We do not think that it would be best to turn this feature ON by default considering that there is a performance impact when this is enabled. Unfortunately, we do not have any data from performance testing to share. But based on our research, it might slow down the sync and increase the callout rates from Zuora to Salesforce.