Happy Business Starts Here

Guru

Re: Syncing Auto-Renewals in Zuora with Salesforce Renewal Opportunity

We generate renewals prior to the renewal date different lengths (45-90 days) depending on the type of customer and products and how many days before the renewal that they should let us know their interntion to renew.  This is related to their contracts.

Yes the automation to send the quotes to zuora without intervention is possible with a salesforce developer.

Maggie Longshore
Valued Scholar

Yes the automation to send the quotes to zuora without intervention is possible with a salesforce developer. Would you have any idea how I should communicate this from a process perspective to our consultants?

Mark renewal opportunity as auto-renew or not within Salesforce custom auto-renew field (based on a criteria like if they have <5 seats)
Code Runs once a week or at whatever frequency we like to generate the renewal opportunities with z-quotes attached.

Renewal Opportunities marked as Auto-Renew should automatically be sent to Z-Billing (if automation can't be built then the CSM should have abilitity to bulk select auto-renew opportunities and send to Z-Billing and Closed/Won the renewal)
If it is not auto-renew the CSM will send the opportunity and quote for finance approval and finance will then send to Z-Billing and Closed/Won the opportunitiy or the CSM will mark it as Closed/Lost if no renewal

Guru

This is a good start - I would add more specifics about what custom fields are to be new, what values for picklists.

You will need to specify who the Opportunity owner and quote owner should be. What to do if the csm user is no longer active in salesforce.

They will need to populate all required fields for the Opportunity and Quote so you should list all expectations including all of the varied date fields. 

If you want any notifications to customers or CSMs you should specify that. And if you do email the customer you will need to handle bounces, etc.

You should specify as much detail as possible. Specify how they should log status of the jobs and what subscriptions have renewal quotes or not.

What should they do if a product on a subscription is no longer active in the product catalog.

Should they uplift prices.

If you have any other customizations you should make them aware of their impact. They will have to examine validation rules and the like and make any adjustments because you do not want a validation or workflow to cause errors.

I would require them to use custom meta data to have some items configurable as to how often to run jobs and any criteria that you may want to change without deploying code. For example if you change the number of days before the renewal date to run the job from 70 to 80 then you will need a way for the admin to change it without requiring a code change., 

Code quality and clearly written unit tests with assertions are critical as well - you may need to have someone else maintain this code and they will thank you if there is oversite on quality.

I would also specify who should be notified when a failure occurs. Unexpected exceptions when communicating with Zuora and when a retry should be attempted. What to do if the billing method is not available when the job runs to send to z billing - what if you get a declined card - automatically creating a task for the CSM is one way.

Note that all of the built-in retries that Zuora does will need to be implemented.

There will be errors so have them build in a way to delete and rerun the renewals. 

Any time you have custom code you will need to be sure to run all of the tests in sandbox each time Zuora pushes a new version of the package to the sandbox to ensure that there ae not breaking changes - you have 1 week before the changes from Zuora get pushed to production.  

Maggie Longshore
Valued Scholar

Maggie, thanks for this. It is extremely helpful and I actually have our Zuora rep looking at this thread. 

How does your company manage 

1. Renewal Opportunities with Downgrades? i.e. Customer wants to renew but renews at a lower price/#of seats. Looking at Zuora it seems like it's two steps where you first downgrade and then renew. You can only have 1 quote in Salesforce so how would you handle this scenario? I would not want this scenario to be two different opportunities. 

2. Renewals with Upgrades? i.e. Customer renews but also adds 10 more seats. Would you have a Salesforce renewal opportunity and a Salesforce expansion opportunity? Given opportunity type here would be renewal, what would be your recommendation?

Guru

For downgrades or upgrades made by CSMs that are effective on the renewal start date then the renewal quote is amended with all product changes.

If a change is effective prior to renewal start date a separate Opportunity and Amendment Quote would be created. A new renewal quote and opp would be created after processing if it is time for it.  Note that the amendment quote could have changed the term affecting the renewal date.

Maggie Longshore
Valued Scholar

If the renewal quote is amended with the downgrade/upgrade, In Salesforce and Zuora how would you identify the churn, renewal amount and expansion amount from that one quote?