Happy Business Starts Here

Re: Mapping custom fields from Rate Plan Charge to Invoice Item

Advanced Tutor km
Advanced Tutor

Mapping custom fields from Rate Plan Charge to Invoice Item

We have a custom field on Subscription Rate Plan Charge. We are able to get that information into quotes that are generated but we want to push that info into Invoices, specifically onto the InvoiceItem.

Question 1: I don't see Invoice Item as an object I can create custom fields for but i see in the docs that custom fields are possible

- https://knowledgecenter.zuora.com/DC_Developers/G_SOAP_API/E1_SOAP_API_Object_Reference/InvoiceItem

Question 2: Assuming I create a custom field on Invoice Item is it possible to map data from a custom field on Subscription Rate Plan Charge to Invoice Item?

Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES
Guru

@km You can create custom fields on the 'Invoice Detail' which is another word for 'Invoice Item' in the UI. This will allow custom fields to be populated per invoice item.

Unfortunately, there is no automatic way that I am aware of to populate those fields from the Subscription Rate Plan Charge custom fields. That being said, it would be pretty simple to write up a small program to do this based on events in Zuora.  For example, when a new invoice is generated a callout could be fired to your program and it could go to the invoice and copy the relevant fields over from the Subscrption Rate Plan Charge to the Invoice Item/Detail. It may also be possible to do this on the Zuora Connect marketplace as well.

Z-Product Team

SRPC is a versioning concept.  You cannot link Invoice Item to SRPC until you sync all versions of a Subscription.

Typically, this has been a concern for customers because of storage limits in Salesforce.  This is no longer the case.

As part of the longer term roadmap for Data Connect we should sync all versions of a Subscription to link to the relevant Invoice Item.  Then, you can rely on the II to SRPC and even to PRPC link.

Guru

@nathanc since this was for invoicing, i was referring to custom fields within core Zuora. So that when an invoice is generated to send to the customer from there, it will have the relevant custom information on it.

Workflow as I understand it would be:

1. Make a quote with the custom field on it

2. Submit to Zuora and the subscription charge in core Zuora now has the associated custom field set

3. Generate an invoice

4. The custom code i mentioned above runs and copies the value from the subscription charge to the invoice item custom fields

5. An invoice PDF is generated and can merge in the custom fields on the invoice item/detail objects.

Z-Product Team

Sorry, yes you are correct if trying to populate from Quote to Invoice Item.  I was speaking from trying to populate II to SRPC in Salesforce.

Highlighted
Guru

@km We also faced this delima of not being able to reference custom fields on the Subscription Rate Plan Charge to the Invoice Item.  The way we over came it was to put the information into the Charge Description.  InvoiceItem.ChargeDescription is inherited from RatePlanCharge.Description.  Since we don't populate the charge description with anything in the catalog, it was just a blank field that we are repurposing due to it's existing link to the Invoice Item.  I don't know what type of information you are capturing but here's an example of our block of text that we map to the SRPC description...

ATTN: Fox Mulder

Publication: Alien Times
Order Number: 2006003706933
Size: (264 x 220)
Color: B&W
Configuration: 1x4
Position: Center

@feisley that's a good idea to utilize the callouts when invoice is generated to pull the information.  I'll suggest this to our team to see if that'll be benifiical to change the process.