Happy Business Starts Here

Highlighted
New Student

Invoice PDF button forcing download

About two weeks ago, the behavior of the Invoice PDF button changed for our users. It used to open up the invoice immediately for them to view. Now it downloads the PDF to their computer, then they have to open the PDF file from their computer to view it.

Has this started happening for any other users? Is there some setting or something we can do to get it to open the invoice immediately rather than downloading it?  

Tags (1)
39 REPLIES 39
Zuora Staff

Re: Invoice PDF button forcing download

Hello Megan,

We have not made any changes to affect this. Your browser may have been recently updated, so you will need to check your browser and/or plugin settings to change how the files are launched.

For example, if you are using a Chrome browser:

Go to chrome://plugins
Under "Chrome PDF Viewer," click Enable PDF viewing

I have also updated your ticket for this request.

Thank you,
Monique

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

New Student

The setting you refer to tells the browser whether it's allowed to open the PDF in a tab or in an application (e.g. Adobe) when a PDF is opened. However, the problem of requiring me to download the file before I can view it still exists. 

Our reps used to be able to click the Invoice PDF button and they'd immediately see the invoice in a tab in Salesforce. That they have to download the file every single time they want to view the invoice is very different functionality. And it happened for all users - regardless of their browser settings - at the same time a couple of weeks ago (October 21 is everyone's best recollection of it)

Is the intent of the Invoice PDF button within Salesforce to require users to download the PDF? Did this change? Something changed such that it started requiring all of our uses (regardless of browser or browser setting) to download Invoices before they view them. 

Guru

@megmoo75 This change occurred as a result of a change to the behavior in Zuora 360 v3.1.

It is likely you or your team upgraded to 3.1 and that is what caused the invoice PDFs from Salesforce to be forced to download rather than viewed inline.

The underlying cause for this is a change to the headers presented to the browser which tell it to download the file rather than to allow it to be displayed inline.

We had provided feedback previously that we felt this should either return to the original behavior or be configurable since many of our users liked viewing the invoices inline quickly rather than having to download them. It was also a minor benefit to security as invoices did not end up on individual users computers often as they were only stored temporarily in browser cache rather than in the downloads folder.

@nathanc Maybe this is something you can comment on?

New Student

@feisley- thank you! We did upgrade to 3.1.

And we agree. The removed functionality definitely hinders the efficiency our our team. 

@Monica - Can you give me more details on why this functionality was depracated? 

Guru

My personal take would be to either a) allow it to be configured in the 360 settings or b) provide two buttons / links that can be placed on the layout. "View PDF" and "Download PDF" then implementors could decide if they wanted to give users the link to one or the other (or both and let the user decide what they want).

Of the two I like option B as it has the most flexibility from the admin and user perspective.

Zuora Alumni

We will look into giving both options, customer feedback is such that they want both.  Ill update with a targeted release date when we know.

New Student

@nathanc- I want to know when this funcitonality is delivered. Will you post here? Or is there a place where I can find out this information? Support is still telling me that it's a problem with my browser so I don't trust going through support to get an answer to this. 

Guru

CC @monique so she can update the support team with this information.

Zuora Staff

@feisley Thank you for the feedback. I will update our support team with the info.

@megmoo75 Thank you for the inquiry, I will update your ticket and we will update the community once there is a fix for this. 

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √