Happy Business Starts Here

Highlighted
Zuora Support

How to set up one-time charge with Salesforce CPQ?

I'm using CPQ Connector and having troubles with setting up a one-time charge product which can be used in CPQ Subscription.  Per Salesforce documentation, for one-time charge product, Subscription Pricing field should be Null.  However, an error occurs when I try to sync the product to Zuora.

<Product Name> (Id): is not a subscription product and cannot be synchronized to Zuora.

If I assign Subscription Pricing to 'Fixed Price,' the product can be synced to Zuora.  However, when adding the product to a CPQ subscription, the charge is billed multiple time if the subscription is renewed (e.g., the subscription term is changed from 12 to 24 months).

Does anyone else have the same issue?  How can you set up a one-time charge product that behaves as a one-time charge in CPQ subscription?

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

3 REPLIES 3
Zuora Support

Re: How to set up one-time charge with Salesforce CPQ?

Salesforce CPQ (aka Steelbrick)'s concept of a "Subscription" is different from Zuora.

• For Steelbrick, a "subscription" must include a recurring charge.
  • For Zuora, a subscription can have both one-time and recurring charges.

One-time product with a blank Subscription Pricing works for one-time purchase only. For Steelbrick, it is not a subscription. So, to use it in a subcription, Subscription Pricing must be filled out.  The problem is when a one-time product is added to a subscription, the price gets multiplied based on term length defined on the quote (e.g. a $100 product is re-calculated to $300 if the subscription term is 3 years).

This is not a Zuora connector issue and instead a limitation in Salesforce CPQ. The connector is built to simply take line items from a quote/contract and create subscriptions in Zuora. If the quote is miscalculating totals, it will send those miscalculated totals. It should not be adding a multiplier for one-time products based on subscription term length. Salesforce CPQ is aware of the limitation and has several customers request this feature using their ideas board.

Our Product Manager has taken the feedback from SteelBrick and will discuss a long term solution with the Salesforce product team. In the meantime, we are advising customers to build a workaround to handle one-time products. One possible solution is to create a process that sets the product term = quote term for one-time products so the multiplier is always 1 and has no impact on the price.

Tutor

The links in this post are no longer valid do we need to write an API call for send over one time charges or should the one time charges be setup as a subscription that renews 1 time in Salesforce? @vu_phan

Zuora Support

Hi,

Look like Salesforce has removed those forums so I removed them from my previous post as well. You can use API to one-time charge to Zuora as a workaround.