Highlighted
cmelton117 Savvy Scholar

Savvy Scholar

Savvy Scholar

GB/Day Storage Pricing/Product Model

We recently upgraded our ZuoraQuotes from 6.2  to 9.x. For the most part, everything is good. And, what is bad, is our own mistakes from the past!

One issue we are running into right now is a row limit exception in the guided selling process. "row limit: 139". I know the reason we are getting this issue is because there are 6 of the same products being selected with 44 tier for each product. That exceeds the 139 limit. 

The reason for this, from the sales guy who sold it this way, is he was selling the customer 6 additional YEARS of storage. And our storage product is set up with volume pricing and tiers of GB/day allocation. So, essentially, one line item would be one year of storage at what ever qty (GB/day). 

Is there a better way to set up a storage product that is GB/day but needs to be UOM years? I hope I am making sense. Any help is MUCH MUCH appreciated!

feisley Guru

Guru

Guru

Re: GB/Day Storage Pricing/Product Model

@cmelton117 Sounds like your offering shares some similarities with ours with regards to dealing with bandwidth.

One thing that sounds odd is having 6 line items related to years. If you wanted a 6 year subscription normally I would think you would have 72 months as the term and one line item with your bandwidth. For the sake of example lets say that 1 GB / day costs $15/month.

If the customer wanted to have 7 GB / day for 6 years then your line item would be Quantity = 7

Internally the total would be computed as Quantity 7 * Price $15 * Months 72 = $7560

Ours only differs slightly in the fact that we have GB / month as our unit of measure but essentially its the same thing, just differs in how often you are resetting your counters for the customer.

Perhaps you can share a bit more detail on why years are making it onto the line item level rather than at the subscription level (where they are most commonly found)

cmelton117 Savvy Scholar

Savvy Scholar

Savvy Scholar

@feisley Thanks for the reply! Initially, our pruduct was set up in 2013 and I believe that the issue lies in the way we set the product up. So the SKU is 1 year of data retention and the rate plans are GB/Day for different pricebooks. AND THEN, the rate plan charges associated to those rate plans have tiers with UOM GB/Day. 44 Tiers for each rate plan charge associated to each rate plan. 

I'm quite certian that there is a better way to do this!   

feisley Guru

Guru

Guru

Yea, not sure if you have the ability to change / redesign it but i do agree there are several other ways to model that that would likely reduce complexity.

If I were designing this from scratch... In my mind if a user wanted 5 years of data retention of 25 GB / day

That would be a 5 year termed subscription with one product on it ("Data Retention") and that would have a charge with the UOM GB / day. They would set the quantity to 25 and thats that.

Not sure if the 44 tiers you mentioned are all for one charge or spread across multiple but that does seem like a lot of tiers to manage.

Another thing @nathanc might chime in on is if the new Orders functionality might raise the row limit that you are hitting.