Option to extend the Workflow's Liquid runtime with custom filters and tags extensions.
Liquid runtime can be extended with custom filters / tags extension written in Ruby. For instance Shopify adds a lot of extension on top of the standard runtime.
The same it true in the Zuora Workflow's Liquid runtime: the regex filter is a custom filter extension written by Zuora and added to the workflows Liquid runtime.
Benefits of writing custom extensions:
- Writing complex algo is easier in ruby than in plain Liquid.
- Better error / exception handling in Ruby
- Utilize the functionality of existing Ruby classes ( why reinvent the wheel )
- Implement beter filter / tags: for instance the above mentioned Zuora regex filter only implement limit set of options of the underlying Ruby regex class. By writing your own you utilize the full power of the regex class or any other..
- Re-useable code library: by writing extensions you can use them in all workflow tasks ( you do not have to copy and clone the code )
The option to define custom extension should be available on the both global level as on workflow instance level and should ofcourse be exported/imported when the workflow is exported/imported.
Just think about it...
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.