Question: I’m modifying my Product Catalog - when should I add a new Product vs. Rate Plan?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Before we dive into some if/then scenarios, let’s review the components of Zuora’s Product Catalog.
Product Catalog: where you define your products and pricing. Each company has one product catalog that contains all the products that they sell.
- Defines the billing behavior you want for the products or services you sell
- Each product in the product catalog represents a product or service
Within Zuora’s Product Catalog consists 3 tiers for billing:
Product: the item or service available for purchase
- Products capture your offerings and help with reporting
- Products in Zuora are often ‘services’ that people or companies subscribe to
Rate Plan: the billing frequency and price points available
- Rate Plans define what a customer can purchase
Rate Plan Charge: the charges or fees for each rate plan
Considerations when Modifying your Product Catalog
If you are…. Continuing to offer the same service at a new price point or price model
Then… Add another Rate Plan
Billing Considerations: use appropriate billing frequency and price model, as needed (e.g., flat fee instead of per unit)
If you are… Creating an add-on to an existing product that not everyone will buy
Then… Add a new Product
Billing Considerations: align the rate plans to the existing product
If you are… Making an existing product available at a discount for a period
Then… Add a New Rate Plan
Billing Considerations: Zuora’s discount charge model allows you to specify the discount and duration