Happy Business Starts Here

Highlighted
Senior Tutor

Updating/Renewing subscription vs Creating new subscription?

I have a customer who recently renewed their contract. Their old contract was 9 months. Their new contract is 12 months with different products and pricing. I decided to create a new subscription rather than trying to "renew" their old contract, since most of it changed. I then cancelled the old subscription.

However, when we do our reporting, it's showing that they have "cancelled" because the report is pulling all cancelled subscriptions. But technically they are still active, just with a new subscription. Then I decided to test something...so I deleted the cancellation and re-ran the report to see if the old subscription would be "expired" since it was past it's term. I recently saw that subscriptions only show as "expired" if there's been an amendment. So now it's showing that there are 2 active subscriptions, but that's not right either. 

A couple of questions have come out of this:

1. Once a subscription is past its term, what do we do? Do I have to cancel every subscription who's term has lapsed?
  2. Why does it still show as active if it's truly not? 
  3. Should I update the current subscription to remove the old products, then another amendment to update the terms, then another amendment to add in the new products and pricing? That seems like a lot of amendments...

Trying to get our reporting and subscriptions correct in the long run. Kept running into this same situation so finally asking the question!

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Zuora Support

Re: Updating/Renewing subscription vs Creating new subscription?

Greeting - Here are some answers.

1. Once a subscription is past its term, what do we do? Do I have to cancel every subscription who's term has lapsed?
    • You do not need to cancel the subscription if it is not auto-renewed.
  2. Why does it still show as active if it's truly not?
    • Subscription's status = Active indicates that this is the latest version of the subscription. To tell whether the subscription is still effective or not, you can look at the subscription's Subscription End Date. In Zuora UI, if you go to all Subscriptions page, you can expand Status - Active option on the right to see Within a term and Out of term options.
  3. Should I update the current subscription to remove the old products, then another amendment to update the terms, then another amendment to add in the new products and pricing? That seems like a lot of amendments...
    • This is the correct approach (e.g., remove old products, renew the subscription, and add new products) since you are reporting on Subscription's Status.

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

Senior Tutor

Basicly, we shouldn't do our reporting of the "active", "expired," or "cancelled" status of a subscription? 

Highlighted
Zuora Support

You can report on both Status and Subscription End Date to have a better idea on whether the subscription is still effective.

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

Highlighted
Partner

Sherri,

On all of our Subscription reports or Subscription object in Salesforce, we add a formula called "Term Status" that shows:

• "In Term" if todays date is before the subscription end date
  • Or "Out of Term" if today's date is after the subscription end date.
Frontera Consulting
Oracle, Salesforce and Zuora Consultants