Happy Business Starts Here

Valued Scholar

Two rate plan with different term duration in same subscription

I have two rate plans, RP1 and RP2. RP1 has billingPeriod Annual, and RP2 has billingPeriod Three_Years. I want these rate plans to be auto renewed with renewalSetting RENEW_WITH_SPECIFIC_TERM. Renewal term for RP1 is 1year and renewal term for PR2 is 3years. Is it possible to provision both rate plan within single subscription? Or i need to provision it under different subscription as renewalTerm is at subscription level? 

5 REPLIES 5
Valued Scholar

Re: Two rate plan with different term duration in same subscription

Hi,

I don't think it is possible to achieve this using a single subscription with both rate plans, instead you would have to do as you suggest and create one subscription per rate plan. This since there are no link between the renewal term and the subscription rate plan.

Just out of curiosity, what is your initial term? You would have the same problem for the initial term.

If you could provide me with a bit more details about the use case, e.g. what exactly you are trying to achieve business vice I might be able to provide you some other solution...

Kind regards

Per

Valued Scholar

Thank you for response Per!

We have bunch of rate plans with different terms. User can pick any combination of these rate plans, some of them could be autorenewed and some of them could not. Will it be possible to use single subscription under Zuora to configure this? We tried couple of scenarios, and we thought we could achive it by using chargeOverrides option by providing endDateCondition for the rate plan and its charge. But wanted to check in forum if that is the right way to do it. Because of limited knowledge, we are not able to understand any drawbacks of this way.

FYI: We are in phase where we are deciding whether we should have single subscription for all rate plan user chooses or group them by trial/paid or just create 1 subscription per rate plan.

Highlighted
Valued Scholar

Hi,

Since you want to renew the Rate Plans with different Renewal Settings I don't think it is possible since as I stated earlier this setting is on subscription level.

Further more from my undestanding it will not be possible to use the endDateCondition for this scenario since this will set the end date for the charge meaning that when the number of periods or date is passed the charge will become inactive and cannot be re-activiated upon auto-renewal. 

To conclude I think the only way forward would be to have separated subscriptions for the different terms if they are to be auto-renewed. 

For my understanding you want to give the customer possibility to give the customer different terms depending on the Rate Plan they select? I.e. for the RP1 they should be able to cancel their subscription on that Rate Plan after one year while they have to subscribe to RP2 for a minimum of three years? Otherwise a way forward could be to use orderAction removeProduct after one, two, three years (or at any n*1 years) for RP1 and after three, six, nine (or at any n*3 years) for RP2 and have custom fields on the Subscription Product Rate Plan for which date they are allowed to remove their subscription to the rate plan. This would though require that you have a service application that holds this logic to determine if and when they can remove their subscription to the invidivual rate plans.

Hope this is clear and helps you. Anyone else have any inputs? I curious to hear them Smiley Happy

Kind Regards

Per

Valued Scholar

Yeah, looks like only way to achieve this is by creating different subscription for each rate plan, unless someone replies and suggest some other way.

Thanks for you response Per!

Valued Scholar

OK! If you find my answer helpful please mark it as the solution