Happy Business Starts Here

Highlighted
Master

Suspend & Resume a Subscription on the Same Day

The knowledge center documentation on resume amendments clearly states that that the resume date must be after the suspend date. However, this presents an issue when attempting to resume a subscription on the same day it was cancelled. Here's the use case:

• Customer has overdue balance on account for 30 days
  • On day 31, the customer's subscription is programatically suspended and we revoke access to the product
  • The customer now acts upon the emails he/she has been receiving and updates their payment method
  • Upon receipt of a callout, we collect on open invoices and then create an amendment to resume the subscription

In this scenario, if the customer updates their payment method on day 31, we are forced to resume the subscription the following day (or any other day, but not the current day). What is the recommended approach to solve this use case? Is it recommended that the suspend amendment be deleted rather than doing another for resume? Thanks.

resume.JPG

- Jeff
7 REPLIES 7
Master

Re: Suspend & Resume a Subscription on the Same Day

I had a conversation with a few folks at Subscribed yesterday. Jo Gray, MJ (solutions architect), and Maksim. We discussed options and came up with the following. Also, it seems as if the intended use of the suspend/resume API is for voluntary suspension, not involuntary as I describe in my use case.

1. Cancel subscription rather than suspending it

2. Amend the subscription and remove the product

3. Delete the suspension amendment rather than resuming it

first option seems way too agressive. The only viable option is the 3rd, simply deleting the suspend amendment to resume billing operations. But then we loose the audit trail of the sub being suspended. From a tracking perspective, the sub could've been suspended 10 times over a 3 year period and we would lose that visibility. This could weigh into customer health, churn prediction, credit worthiness, etc. 

What functionality does Zuora offer to involuntarily suspend and resume customers' subscriptions?

- Jeff
Master

Opened ticket with support - 152711 and asked that support tell PM to reply. Not sure if that works...

Talking with professional services engineer Jeff Tan today and we decided to back date the suspension amendment by one day. A resume amendment with a date of "today" is then possible. For recurring charges, a single day of revenue is lost, but that's not a significant barrier to my business. It very well could be for others.

Would like to hear what Product Management recommends.

Shout out to Jeff Tan for being knowledgeable, creative, and efficient!

- Jeff
Zuora Alumni

It sounds like Jeff Tan's solution works for now, we can take this into account when we design the Suspend and Resume Order Actions for Orders.

Master

Hi @nathanc,

My intial question was - what is the recommended approach to solve this use case? Can you please answer that? thanks.

- Jeff
Master

Hi @nathanc,

My intial question was - what is the recommended approach to solve this use case? Can you please answer that? thanks.

- Jeff
Zuora Alumni

Jeff, I would not say there is a recommended approach from Product as each situation depends on a customer's own context.  My response above was if Jeff Tan's solution works for your stituation then go ahead and utilize that.

We hope to address this when we support Suspend and Resume on Orders.

Master

Hi @nathanc,

Thanks for the response. 

I had a conversation with Mike Aaron last week and we agreed that this is a common use case. Also, that the solution proposed is sub-optimal.

Orders is an entirely different conversation as that's a massive change for a customer to undertake. We're talking about suspend and resume amendments on subscriptions.

Based upon your experience, is this a use case you've seen before? I'll use a Netflix example since that's always relatable:

• You have a Netflix streaming subscription
  • You notice your credit card has some charges on it that are not yours
  • you call your credit card company and cancel that card
  • Your Netflix subscription (evergreen) comes up for monthly renewal and the payment method fails
  • Netflix sends you an email, then another, and another 20 days later
  • Naturally, you ignore these emails like any good consumer because they are obviously spam
  • You're binge watching the new Lost in Space season 1, as you should be
  • Suddenly, Netflix presents you with a message stating your subscription has been suspended due to a balance due
  • You scramble to find your new card, update payment info on your mobile device, and breathe a sigh of relief as the magnificent adventures of Will Robinson resume streaming on your TV

In this scenario, Netflix suspended your subscription and resumed it on the same day. 

Thanks!

- Jeff