Happy Business Starts Here

Savvy Scholar

Seasonal Subscriptions with auto renewals

I'm looking for the best way to handle "seasonal" subscriptions with the ability to have auto renewals.  

An example would be a ski mountain season lift ticket that would auto renew for next season. A one time"annual" payment off $1,000 recognized as defered revenue over 5 months (Dec-April) and a renewal that would begin in December of the following year.

Anyone deal with anything simliar?

2 REPLIES 2
Support SME

Re: Seasonal Subscriptions with auto renewals

Hello Brian,

For a seasonal subscription you will want to create an Annual Subscription.  Please refer to our Knowledge Center article: Specifying Basic Information for a Subscription. Use the following settings to help set up your annual subscription:

• Term Setting = TERMED
  • Initial Term = 1 YEAR

• Renewal Setting = Renew With Specific Term
  • Renewal Term = 1 YEAR
  • Auto Renew = YES

When adding the rate plan charge, set it up as a one-time charge of $1000.

Our revenue recognition is fully customizable and will allow Monthly recognition over time. Please refer to our Knowledge Center article: Recognition Term.

When creating your rule, use the following:

Recognition Model: Billing - Daily recognition Over Time

Recognition Term Start Date: Start recognizing revenue from the Invoice Item Service Period Start
Recognition Term End Date: Stop recognizing revenue 5 months from the Recognition Term Start Date

We also have another related Community topic found HERE.

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

Zuora Alumni

Re: Seasonal Subscriptions with auto renewals

Hi Brian---one change to what Rolando advised as an option for you. He advised setting up your change as a one-time charge. However, one-time charges do not auto-renew when the subscription auto-renews. My suggestion would be for you to create an annual rate plan for the $1000 and then setting up the accounting rule to recognize the revenue over the five month period like Rolando advised.