Happy Business Starts Here

Valued Scholar

Need help make a product catalog usage charge choice

Hi experts,

I have a scenario for which I am trying to design my PC and any inputs will be valuable.

Scenario
1. Customer can buy a monthly plan for $1000/month which includes 1 hour of service/month
2. Customer can also buy a pre-paid bundle of hours like 20/40/60 hours

Challenge
How do I upload usage hours such that it goes to the first bucket of included hours and then goes to the second bucket of pre-paid hours if any and then charges the customer for overage if there is more usage?

Thank you all in advance.

cc @doyeli 

Thanks,
Vinar
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Need help make a product catalog usage charge choice

Hi,

I guess you need to keep track of which of the usage are the included, which are pre-paid and which are overage (using product, subscription rate plan and subscritption rate plan charge. You can get the current usage using the REST API (https://www.zuora.com/developer/api-reference/#operation/GET_UsageRecordsQuery) and then calculate how to distribute the hours and the post the usage to the different charges again using the REST API (https://www.zuora.com/developer/api-reference/#operation/POST_UsageRecords).

However I think you create a stair-based charge for the usage, where one hour is for free and everything is charged, one charge for each pre-paid quantity (20, 40, 60) and overage for any additional quantity. However when you include the pre-paid I think you still would need to "manually" distribute the usage on the different charges.

Let me know if this helps.

Kind regards

Per

Highlighted
Valued Scholar

Thanks @perswardh for the idea. I thought about the idea. What I am trying to solve for is the usage to charge assignment and how can I automate that. Manually distributing is definitely not a choice for the volume of invoices we will be generating and scalability of the solution. Question is how can we distribute usage to the correct charges automatically. I wanted to check if out of box Zuora can handle this or if there are obvious implementation ideas.

Thanks,
Vinar
Highlighted

Hi,

As far as I know there are no support for this in Zuora, hence you need to implement it yourself outside of Zuora and utilize the APIs. By "manually" I meant implementing it in your own service/application. Found this article:
https://knowledgecenter.zuora.com/Developer_Platform/API/G_SOAP_API/E1_SOAP_API_Object_Reference/Usa...
More specifically:
"If you omit all of the fields ChargeId, ChargeNumber, SubscriptionId, and SubscriptionName, then usage is billed against all charges associated with the account that have the same UOM values. The two charge-related fields, ChargeId and ChargeNumber, connect usage with a specific charge. The two subscription-related fields, SubscriptionId and SubscriptionName, connect usage with a specific subscription."

Hope this helps