Happy Business Starts Here

Re: How to change price on existing Subscriptions?

nchauhan
Student

How to change price on existing Subscriptions?

We are doing a reduction in price on our subscriptions for around 25000 customers. Although we are not aware on how do to this without re-creating all these subscriptions which is not feasible manually.

We have figured out how to change the price on an existing product so that new subscriptions receive the reduction in price but not the already existing subscriptions. 

So my question is, how to you change the price on an existing subscription?

2 REPLIES 2
ehavens
Guru

To change the price of a charge on an active subscription an UpdateProduct amendment needs to be created for that charge. 

That can be done in the Zuora UI by a user creating the amendment on the subscription for the specific charge.  But not practical for a large volume.

When we changed the price on ~10,000 subscriptions a few years, we imported UpdateProduct amendments using the Developer Tools from Zuora Connect.  It's a tool that allows non developers to import records into Zuora.  For UpdateProduct amendments, it's a CSV file template with the Amendment, Subscription and Charge information, along with dates and price information that indicates when the new price should become effective.  Here's an overview of the Developer Tools.  It is an extra application that you will need to purchase.  https://knowledgecenter.zuora.com/Marketplace/Developer_Tools

Within the Zuora UI on the Subscription main page, where it lists all of the Subscriptions, there's a Mass Order Entry option on the right side under the search box.  I have not used this in the last 7 years since

I use Developer Tools, but it should be very similar to what i described above and it wouldn't cost extra since it is within the UI.  There's a template to export and populate for UpdateProduct amendments.  Here's more information on that option.  https://knowledgecenter.zuora.com/Billing/Subscriptions/Subscriptions/E_Changing_Subscriptions_Amend...

You could also create UpdateProduct amendments with REST API calls if you have a developer available.  I don't have personal experience with this but, similar idea, get a list of the Subscriptions and charges you need update and make a call to create the amendment with the new price and the date it becomes effective.  for more information: https://www.zuora.com/developer/api-reference/#operation/Action_POSTamend

I would definitely practice in sandbox regardless of what option you go with.  I would start with the Mass Order Entry option and see if that meets your needs.  You can reach out to Zuora Support.  They would be able to help answer any questions you might have specific to your tenant.

nchauhan
Student

Thanks so much for the quick reply! We'll give this a try, and afterwards I'll come back and let you know how it went.