Happy Business Starts Here

Re: How do I notify customers that their "Evergreen" subscription is up for renewal?

Community Manager

How do I notify customers that their "Evergreen" subscription is up for renewal?

See Reply

Subscribe to Zuora System Updates at Zuora Trust
Follow Zuora Global Support on Twitter and LinkedIn

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: How do I notify customers that their "Evergreen" subscription is up for renewal?

Question or Problem Statement: 

How can I notify customers with “Evergreen” subscriptions that their subscription is getting ready to expire or up for renewal?

Solution:

Often, customers want to have the ability to send a renewal notice to their end-users when the previous invoice period is set to expire or end. This is especially true for customers who bill in annual periods.

For example, if your business practice is to bill for a year upfront, the service period the invoice may be for is 1/1/15-12/31/15. The end-user pays for that service upfront and as the year 2016 approaches, you may want to notify the customers billed for that period that they are set to bill again. The question that arises from this, is there a way to send these notifications out directly from Zuora?

The answer to this question is dependent on the subscription type the end-user was originally set-up with. There are two types of subscriptions in Zuora at this time. Those two types are “Termed” or “Evergreen”.

A termed subscription is one that is set to bill for a certain amount of months/years, and then either auto-renews or expires at the end of the term.

An evergreen subscription is one that is set-up to NEVER expire. It is important to note the word never in that last statement. When thinking of an evergreen subscription, think of a service that you use and sign-up for daily. Things like Netflix or Pandora subscriptions never expire. You, the end-user are just billed every month from the time of sign-up unless you cancel the subscription.

So, to answer the original question, there is not a functionality in Zuora to send a renewal notice to a customer in terms of an evergreen subscription. If part of your business model is to notify your customers that they are about to be billed again, please do not use evergreen subscriptions. You can make all of your subscriptions Termed subscriptions with Auto-Renewal = True in order to use the native notification set-up in Zuora.  

Subscribe to Zuora System Updates at Zuora Trust
Follow Zuora Global Support on Twitter and LinkedIn

Tags (2)