Happy Business Starts Here

Master

Copy Value from Subscription to Invoice

I have a requirment to create a custom field on the subscription.  Is it feasible to automatically pass the custom field value from the subscrtption to the invoice?

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Zuora Support Moderator

Re: Copy Value from Subscription to Invoice

@mpastore - are you looking to display the subscription custom field on the invoice pdf, or are you looking to have an invoice-level custom field that inherits the value from the subscription?

If it's more of a display on the PDF situation, you can display the subscription custom field on the invoice template:

If you're looking for the latter option, there isn't an automated way to do that within the Zuora UI. I'm thinking you could manage this programmatically via API (query the subscription custom field value, update the invoice custom field with that value).

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

Master

@AmyLy, its the later comment.  I'm looking to have the value to be inhereited from the subscription to all related invoices.

Zuora Support Moderator

@mpastore - yea, the only method I've found to make this happen is to do the query on the subscription custom field and then update the invoice custom field with that result value.

If anyone else has done this, I'd be interested to know if there were other alternatives.

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

Guru

@AmyLy @mpastore we have done this in our implementation. We have Purchase Order field on the subscription that we show on the Invoice. This way we can have a different PO per subscription without the need to set it at each invoice level (i.e. a 12 month contract with monthly billing)

We use the "TableStart: Subscription" mergefield which will render a table of all subscriptions on an Invoice (recall that an invoice can have more than one subscription on it depending on how you structured your subscriptions). We can then show our custom field on each row of the Subscription table. Since in our case its usually one subscription per invoice (99.99% of the time) this ends up being the Invoice PO at the header level.

Master

@feisley how about on the UI? I need it on the UI so I can report of it. Any suggestions?

Guru

@mpastore not sure I follow your meaning? If you add a custom field to the subscription then its visibile in the Zuora UI. You should be able to edit it there as well as report on it from standard reporting.

Master

@feisley I mean add a custom field on the subscription and invoice UI.   Then enter the value on the subscription and have it passed to all related invoices.

Advanced Tutor

Looking to have an invoice-level custom field that inherits the value from the subscription:

I want to do this: "query the subscription custom field value in order to update the invoice custom field with that value". 

The problem is: how do I get to know the subscription of the invoice? In the UI I can see it. But how to get the subscription via API?