Happy Business Starts Here

Can not update this Subscription's Service Activation Date if there is a closed Accounting Period

Valued Scholar

Can not update this Subscription's Service Activation Date if there is a closed Accounting Period

We have a new product that I'm trying to setup a sku for.  In our contract with our customer the contract effective date is different from the service activation date which is the billing trigger.  The term of the subscription is off of that activation date.  How do I setup the sku such that full term is billed out as of that activation date?  I've seen a post that this feature is implemented but I can't find documentation on how to setup the sku to make this happen.  Every sample I try to create only bills out for the short stub period from the activation date to the end of the subscription term which is based on the contract effective date.  

An example is:  The contract is signed for a 12 month term on May 15, 2016 (contract effective date), the activation date is June 15, 2016.  When I bill this out it only cover the period from June 15, 2016 through May 15, 2017.  This is one month short of the 12 month term.

3 REPLIES 3
Zuora Alumni

Re: Can not update this Subscription's Service Activation Date if there is a closed Accounting Perio

Hi. Without seeing an example of what you are attempting to set up in your product catalog, I have an idea of what is going on. My assumption is that this is an annual rate plan. The expectation is for your annual rate plan is to bill for a full year. However, if you were in Zuora and setting up a subscription, you would see an option to click on additional fields in the subscription and the term date of the subscription at that point can be modified. When you open the additional fields tab, you will see a phrase next to the term start date, that states "by default the term start date is the same as the contract effective date."

In your example, the contract effective date in 5/15/16. Thus, if you don't override the term start date, the contract is going to end on 5/14/16. To acheive what you are trying to accomplish, you will need to change the term start date of the subscription to 6/15/16. I am looking at a way to automate this process if possible, but in the meantime, can you try to set up a subscription the way I detailed and see if it behaves correctly? 

Thanks,
Matt

Valued Scholar

Re: Can not update this Subscription's Service Activation Date if there is a closed Accounting Perio

Thanks Matt that did work.  Now the trick is we are integrated with SF so I'll need to figure out how to setup that term start date with a subscription I import from SF.  Any ideas?

Mary

Zuora Alumni

Hi Mary,

If you are the person responsible for the quote layout in Salesforce, you can add the term start date as a field that needs to be entered when creating a quote. The link below has some information on how to do this. Once that field is added to the layout, you will be able to set the term start date at the time of order entry. 

https://knowledgecenter.zuora.com/CA_Commerce/C_Zuora_Quotes/G_Zuora_Quotes_Configuration_Settings/S...

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Matt