Happy Business Starts Here

Master

Amend discounts to align with subscription expiration

Is it possible to update all discounts in the system easily at one time?  

All of our discounts are currently set to expire in one year.  Our subscriptions, on the other hand, are all set to evergreen.  This is silly, the discount will expires year after subscription start date unless we extend it or put in a new one, even though the subscription is evergreen.  This is a bad customer experience, and our CEO has asked that we update all of the discounts to be aligned with the evergreen subscription.

We have updated it so that all of the NEW customers with a discount will DEFAULT to be aligned with the evergreen subscription...but we have about 1500 discounts in our system.  Is there any way to do something in the back end to update all of the discounts at one time to be aligned with the sub?  Or do we have to do an amendment for each and every discount?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Zuora Support Moderator

Re: Amend discounts to align with subscription expiration

@hdeschamps - without understanding your specific details, I'll try to answer this from a wider-lense perspective.

Updating the product catalog so the discount doesn't have an end date is the first step. I looks like you've already made that change so your net new customers will have the correct evergreen subscription and discount in place for the term.

For the second step of figuring out what to do with your existing customers that require the discount to not end, you will need to do a mini project to apply a discount that doesn't have an end date to the current subscription. This will be a new product amendment.

One way to do this in a batch is to make use of the Mass Order Entry feature which will let you apply multiple amendments at once via a CSV file. The one caveat to this is that the Mass Order Entry feature will only work with percentage discounts (it will not work with fixed-price discounts). If you are using fixed-price discounts, the only way to do these updates in bulk is by using APIs.

If your discount type is percentage-based, my recommendation here would be to test out a handful of records first to ensure it works properly and test in the sandbox first. 

Here are additional resources that may be helpful for this process:

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

Highlighted
Master

@AmyLy, that's awesome!  I didn't know that existed!  Would this work with each discount being different for each customer?  And would they all be added and removed at the same time to be effective immediately, or just when the current one expires?  

I really appreciate the help, this is awesome!  I seriously had no idea that feature existed, I truly hope that this will work for our use case.  

Thank you!!!

Heidi

Zuora Support Moderator

@hdeschamps - sorry for the late response! I thought I had sent my note in, but it looks it didn't post last time around.

Yes, this would work with different discounts for individual customers since the file you're loading will be referencing each customer separately.

As for the timing/when this would take effect, it would depend on the date that you use as the Amendment contract effective date. 

For example, if you desire the current discount to expire for all customers on a hard cut-off date of October 1, 2017, then when you process these amendments, you would set the Contract Effective date to 10/1/2017 (assuming the charges are set to trigger upon contract effective date).

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √