Happy Business Starts Here

Savvy Scholar

Re: Quick question - Is there a way to export the summary format version of a report ?

Hi Chris   The reports I am thinking of sharing with management would need to go to non Zuora users, and not sure having them Log on to Zuora to view a report is a good idea.   

Scholar sae
Scholar

Re: Quick question - Is there a way to export the summary format version of a report ?

We're not planning to add more users to Zuora, so an attached csv file is the best option for us. Thanks

Zuora Alumni

Hi Patti and Sofie - would either of you be up for talking quickly about this?

Very open to simply adding the additional export format to address the need here.

That said, if there are barriers that make you hesitant to add additional users to Zuora, I would also love to understand what those are and whether there are ways that we could also address those. Let me know if you are up for chatting about that.

Highlighted
Guru

Chris,

I will add in that our reluctance to add too many people within Zuora is the lack of a true read-only role. There are still some things a minimal user can do within the system that we would rather be fully restricted.

But ultimately if we could resolve that, we prefer to email links and have reports viewed in the site to avoid the proliferation of uncontrolled attachments.

-Jacob

Zuora Alumni

Got it. Thanks, Jacob. That's exactly the kind of thing I'm trying to learn more about.

We have some work underway now to tighten up all of our permissions. if that resulted in the ability to create a pure read-only user role, would that be sufficient from your perspective to start adding more users? E.g., assume the user could click through different areas of the product but had no ability to make changes.

Guru

@chris I think for me it might be good to go one step further... For many users that need reports they need only a curated view. We do not want them wandering about in all the customer records (Too much info can be a dangerous thing ;-) )

I think a role for reporting user would be best. Giving them access to view only reports they are authorized to view and no acccess to the Z-Billing interface.

Also longer term would be nice to see some more granualar permissions in reporting. Right now its share with all or sharw tith none. Would be nice for example to share a folder with the admins where we can create reports and test things and then move it to the shared with X team folder. and finally having a share with all folder is fine as well.

Zuora Alumni
Zuora Alumni

@feisley  Your use case may be solved by sharing only certain reports so that users with the View Reports Only role get a curated view.  I grabbed the following snippet from the new Reporting Knowledge Center page: Roles and Permissions.  Access to the Z-billing page is granted by other permissions that you would have to add explicitly to the user.

View Reports Only Role

Users that have only the 'View Reports' permission receive a more limited set of functionality in Reporting:

• View Reporting
  • View all shared reports
  • Mark shared reports as favorites
  • Run all shared reports
  • Enter filter conditions at runtime for shared reports enabled with parameterized filter values
  • View shared report results
  • Export shared report results to CSV file
  • Schedule run of shared reports 

The user with only View Reports permission will not be able to:

• Create, modify, move, unshare, or delete reports 
  • Create, modify, or move folders

On your last note, that would be a nice addition.  Currently Reporting can either share reports or keep them private. Creating a separate group permission for just members of Team X or Y is not yet available.  Hmmm, but you could schedule a report to run and send the results of your private report to an exclusive group of team members. 

Zuora Alumni

@tim - all totally accurate. If I'm reading @feisley's previous comments correctly, though, I think he wants to go beyond reporting permissions and actually better restrict access to the rest of the Zuora application.

Jacob - in your ideal world, you could have a user log into Zuora and see nothing but reporting, correct? Then from there you could given that user different levels of reporting permissions and also perform user or user group level report sharing...

Guru

@tim thanks for your notes, we have made appropriate reporting roles but as @chris mentioned as well, there are some remaining enhancements to the rest of the platform needed:

Screenshot 2016-06-27 19.56.01.png

The main issue here is that we really need two additional roles for the other modules like Z-Billing and Z-Finance: Read-Only and No Access. Now for some this is possible since the role for Z-Finance for example can restrict access entirely but the same is not yet true for Z-Billing.

And Chris you hit the nail on the head... in my ideal view we could grant reporting access only to a user and they would be taken right to reporting if that was the extent of their rights. That would satisfy 90% of our needs right there. The remaining 10% would be ehnanced by being able to granualarly share reports with subgroups of people.

All of this would likely be enhanced by having the concept of groups in Zuora platform so you could relate permissions / shares to a group rather than many named users. But that is a far larger request.

Savvy Scholar

Hi Chris,

I would be happy to chat about it, just let me know when.

Thanks
Patti