Happy Business Starts Here

Master

[Avalara Integration] Problem with invalid account address

Hi,

I'm using Avalara integration in my sandbox environment and I'm trying to create (or preview) a subscription with some taxable products. The problem appears when I set a wrong Bill To contact address (from United States or Canada only), in that case I get this error:

The Zuora GetTax call to Avalara returned the following error(s): Unable to determine the taxing jurisdictions.(OAK St, Barrington, IL 12345 US (Destination))

Of course the address is wrong but I don't need to calculate taxes for United States so I would like to know if there's a way around that. I wouldn't want to force all our US customers to insert a valid address for no reason. I tried to set the Tax Exempt field to Yes on the Account but it's not working, Zuora still calls Avalara.

Any suggestion?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Zuora Staff

Re: [Avalara Integration] Problem with invalid account address

Overview

You are getting the error “Unable to determine the taxing jurisdictions” when trying to calculate tax.

Environment

Avalara AvaTax

Resolution

• This error is caused by having a zip code that does not belong in the state listed on the address.
  • Please check the destination and origin addresses to make sure the information provided is accurate.

Since the distination address is incorrect Avalara is unable to determine the type of tax to apply or not to apply. If you are just doing testing i would recommend to use a valid address to test. 

Supported link: https://help.avalara.com/kb/000/How_do_I_resolve__%22Unable_to_determine_the_taxing_jurisdictions.%2...

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

Highlighted
Master

Hi @AmyLee! However the solution is not ideal in our case. We have a checkout flow on our website where customers inserts their billing address and then choose a payment method and so on. If Avalara needs the correct information in order to calculate the taxes we must force the user to insert a valid address before making the purchase. This is less than ideal for our customer user experience and also for us as we must change how our checkout flow currently works.

The funny thing is that we don't really want to apply taxes for US customers so we will be more than happy if there was a way to bypass Avalara for those customers.

Highlighted
Zuora Staff

Hi Stepano,

I would like to work with you on this issue through a ticket. This may require a little more understanding on how you setup/ charge tax. Thank you. 

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

Highlighted
Master

HI @AmyLee, I will, thanks.