Happy Business Starts Here

Why do I get an error when creating or cancelling an Invoice Item Adjustment?

Highlighted
Support SME

Why do I get an error when creating or cancelling an Invoice Item Adjustment?

Issue: When you try to create or cancel Invoice Item Adjustment, you may often get below two errors. 

Error message 1: You cannot create an Adjustment that changes the invoice balance from positive to negative.

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 3.15.59 PM.png

Error message 2: The Invoice balance can only be adjusted toward zero.

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 3.15.46 PM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Support SME

Re: Why error happens when try to create a new Invoice Item Adjustment or try to cancel one?

Here is one example may explain what happens. The issue usually happens when the invoice items have both positive and negative amount. 

Invoice Item 1: One Time Discount $-99

Invoice Item 2: Recurring $100

Invoice Balance: $1

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 3.22.13 PM.png

Scenario 1: If you apply an IIA $2 to Invoice Item 1:

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 3.25.52 PM.png

Result: Get error 'The Invoice balance can only be adjusted toward zero'.

It is because the previous invoice balance is $1 and now you try to update it to $3. It is against the rule. The rule is the new invoice amount range should be $0 - $1. 

Scenario 2: If you apply an IIA $2.5 to Invoice Item 2: 

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 3.32.40 PM.png

Result: Get error 'You cannot create an Adjustment that changes the invoice balance from positive to negative'. 

It is because the previous invoice balance is $1 and now you try to update it to $-1.5. It is against the rule. The rule is the new invoice amount range should be $0 - $1 only.

Scenario 3: If you apply an IIA $2 to Invoice Item 1 and an IIA $2.5 to Invoice Item 2: 

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 3.33.57 PM.png

Result: Two new IIAs are created. It is because the previous invoice balance is $1 and now you try to update it to $0.5. It follows the rule which is the new invoice amount range should be $0 - $1 only. Now the new invoice amount is $0.5. 

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 3.45.52 PM.png 

Scenario 4:  When you try to cancel any of the IIAs which are created in Scenario 3. You may probably get below error:

Error 1: You cannot adjust the invoice balance from a positive amount to a negative amount. Please contact an administrator to request permission to cancel the IIA without validation or Zuora support.

Error 2: The Invoice balance can only be adjusted toward zero. Please contact an administrator to request permission to cancel the IIA without validation or Zuora support.

This is because after canceling, the new invoice Outstanding Balance will be negative. To fix this, you may enable the billing role permission 'Cancel Invoice Item Adjustment without Validation'. Reference: https://community.zuora.com/t5/Billing-Payments/Cancel-Invoice-Item-Adjustment-without-Validation/m-...

Here is one example after you enabling this permission, IIA is canclled and the invoice Outstanding Balance becomes $-1.5.

Screen_Shot_2018-09-14_at_3_26_16_PM.png

So there are two key points when try to create or cancel IIAs: 

1. The new invoice amount should be from 0 to the invoice previous amount before the expected IIA is applied. 

2. The new invoice amount should not be negative. 

Lastly, please also note, when you use REST call such as https://rest.zuora.com/v1/object/invoice-item-adjustment to create two IIAs in the same call, due to the limitation of our system, they will be processed one by one. In other words, they are treated as two separate requests. So you might meet the issue in scenario 1 or 2, the workaround is you can create the two IIAs in UI, not via API. 

If you are creating two IIAs via SOAP call and you want them recognized as useSingleTransaction, check https://knowledgecenter.zuora.com/DC_Developers/G_SOAP_API/F_SOAP_API_Complex_Types/CallOptions

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Support SME

Re: Why error happens when try to create a new Invoice Item Adjustment or try to cancel one?

Here is one example may explain what happens. The issue usually happens when the invoice items have both positive and negative amount. 

Invoice Item 1: One Time Discount $-99

Invoice Item 2: Recurring $100

Invoice Balance: $1

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 3.22.13 PM.png

Scenario 1: If you apply an IIA $2 to Invoice Item 1:

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 3.25.52 PM.png

Result: Get error 'The Invoice balance can only be adjusted toward zero'.

It is because the previous invoice balance is $1 and now you try to update it to $3. It is against the rule. The rule is the new invoice amount range should be $0 - $1. 

Scenario 2: If you apply an IIA $2.5 to Invoice Item 2: 

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 3.32.40 PM.png

Result: Get error 'You cannot create an Adjustment that changes the invoice balance from positive to negative'. 

It is because the previous invoice balance is $1 and now you try to update it to $-1.5. It is against the rule. The rule is the new invoice amount range should be $0 - $1 only.

Scenario 3: If you apply an IIA $2 to Invoice Item 1 and an IIA $2.5 to Invoice Item 2: 

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 3.33.57 PM.png

Result: Two new IIAs are created. It is because the previous invoice balance is $1 and now you try to update it to $0.5. It follows the rule which is the new invoice amount range should be $0 - $1 only. Now the new invoice amount is $0.5. 

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 3.45.52 PM.png 

Scenario 4:  When you try to cancel any of the IIAs which are created in Scenario 3. You may probably get below error:

Error 1: You cannot adjust the invoice balance from a positive amount to a negative amount. Please contact an administrator to request permission to cancel the IIA without validation or Zuora support.

Error 2: The Invoice balance can only be adjusted toward zero. Please contact an administrator to request permission to cancel the IIA without validation or Zuora support.

This is because after canceling, the new invoice Outstanding Balance will be negative. To fix this, you may enable the billing role permission 'Cancel Invoice Item Adjustment without Validation'. Reference: https://community.zuora.com/t5/Billing-Payments/Cancel-Invoice-Item-Adjustment-without-Validation/m-...

Here is one example after you enabling this permission, IIA is canclled and the invoice Outstanding Balance becomes $-1.5.

Screen_Shot_2018-09-14_at_3_26_16_PM.png

So there are two key points when try to create or cancel IIAs: 

1. The new invoice amount should be from 0 to the invoice previous amount before the expected IIA is applied. 

2. The new invoice amount should not be negative. 

Lastly, please also note, when you use REST call such as https://rest.zuora.com/v1/object/invoice-item-adjustment to create two IIAs in the same call, due to the limitation of our system, they will be processed one by one. In other words, they are treated as two separate requests. So you might meet the issue in scenario 1 or 2, the workaround is you can create the two IIAs in UI, not via API. 

If you are creating two IIAs via SOAP call and you want them recognized as useSingleTransaction, check https://knowledgecenter.zuora.com/DC_Developers/G_SOAP_API/F_SOAP_API_Complex_Types/CallOptions

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Savvy Scholar

Hi, we used to be able to get all the invoice items through the API, then iterate over them and adjust them one by one, but that is no longer possible now and I get the errors mentioned above when the invoice has both charge and discount items. Is there a workarround for that using the API (either SOAP or REST)?

The goal would be to adjust the invoice to $0 using invoice item adjustments through the API.

Thanks,

Estefanía.-

Highlighted
Support SME

Hi ecaravatti, 

Thank you for your feedback. 

Based on the current design, the only workaround is using UI to make the multiple IIAs. The reason is in UI, the logic is all the IIAs are like handled at the same time, so the issue will not happen. But via API, unfortunately, there is no workaround. You may also consider the feature called Invoice Settlement. After enabling it, you may use credit memo and debit memo to adjust the invoice. After enabling it, you may no logner use IIA anymore. https://knowledgecenter.zuora.com/CB_Billing/Invoice_Settlement

Regards, 

Yong

Highlighted
Student

Can not create IIA - IIA amount equal to previous invoice balance.

Hi YongXiang and thanks for your detailed explanations and photos. They helped me get a better understanding on this error thrown by Zuora.

Still I'm running into the same problem and I don't see why I'm getting a "The Invoice Item can only be adjusted toward zero." from Zuora when trying to create an InvoiceItemAdjustment for an invoice that I'm trying to zero out.

Screenshot 2019-03-20 at 11.54.26.png

I managed to create the CBA and now trying to create an IIA with the following call:

Screenshot 2019-03-20 at 11.56.04.png

I am getting this error:

Screenshot 2019-03-20 at 11.56.46.png

Would you kindly explain what's wrong and why I can not create the IIA?

Thanks,

Crenguta.

Highlighted
Support SME

Re: Can not create IIA - IIA amount equal to previous invoice balance.

Hi @crengutam 

I believe I have figured out what happened. 

InvoiceItemId 2c92a0986976677301697812b75c73da amount is -3.33. You cannot make another 0.07 credit against it. This will make the amount -3.40 which is against the IIA creation logic.

To resolve this, you can make the 0.07 credit against the other InvoiceItem which has the positive amount.

Highlighted
Student

Re: Can not create IIA - IIA amount equal to previous invoice balance.

Oh, thanks so much. Yes, you are right, I was selecting the wrong invoice item. Problem solved 🙂