Happy Business Starts Here

Tax refund with Avalara integration

We have some customers that were incorrectly charged tax due to an incorrect Avalara setup. We have fixed the Avalara setup, but now we need to refund the collected tax. 

When I try to refund the tax payment in Zuora (refund payment - tax portion and create IIA), I get  "Cannot create tax IIA because all tax is controlled by Avalara." I attempted a "refund transaction"-"tax only" in Avalara, but the change wasn't reflected in Zuora.

I am obviously doing something wrong. 

Thanks - Tom

3 REPLIES 3
Zuora Support Moderator

Re: Tax refund with Avalara integration

If you have the setting use Avalara to calculate taxes on IIA's enabled on your tenant, if you manually input the tax amount when creating new IIA, the error will happen.

Could you try just creating an IIA for the all items bar, not input the tax amount and submitting? Avalara should then calculate the tax part of the IIA.

Regards,
Yong Xiang | yxiang@zuora.com
Application Support Engineer | Zuora Inc.

SigNowBlue.png

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

I created a refund and selected "create refund and adjust invoice items". I entered '0' for the "New Adjustment" on the product line. If I don't put something in the "New Adjustment" field for tax, I get "All checked fields are blank, please populate these fields or uncheck the entry." - If I put a value in that field, I get "Cannot create tax IIA because all tax is controlled by Avalara."

Was there a different method you wanted me to try?

Thanks - Tom

Zuora Support Moderator

Hi Tom, 

Could you raise a support ticket with us so we can assist you to troubleshoot it further? The different tenant can have different backend settings, such as Use Avalara to Calculate Tax for IIA. After the ticket is created, we can check if the backend setting is expected. Our support portal: support.zuora.com

Regards,
Yong Xiang | yxiang@zuora.com
Application Support Engineer | Zuora Inc.

SigNowBlue.png

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √