Happy Business Starts Here

Valued Scholar

Self billing invoices

If our customers (ZuoraAccounts) are rendering services to each other through us and we take a cut, is it possible to use Zuora to create self billing invoices? Thus we would bill ourselves to give money to the customer.

Experimentation with having usage which is a negative amount was conducted. The expectation was for it to automagically create a self billed invoice if we owe the customer more than they owe us, instead it gave the error 

#<Zuora::Client::ResponseError: {"Errors":[{"Code":"INVALID_VALUE","Message":"The AppliedInvoiceAmount should not be greater than the existing invoice balance"}],"Success":false}
As invoice amounts are stored as negatives, this error means that we can't invoice the customer for a negative amount (give them money).

Anyone been able to utilise self billed invoices with Zuora?

Thanks

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Zuora Alumni

Re: Self billing invoices

Hello, 

If you want to treat a negative invoice as cash, you must create a credit balance and then either apply the credit balance as payment against invoices or issue a credit balance refund.  You cannot directly apply a negative invoice balance as a payment against invoices.

Here are a couple of Articles that may be of interest to you.

How do I handle a negative invoice?

Creating Credit Balances 

I hope this helps answer your question.

Have a nice day!

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

Highlighted
Valued Scholar

Hi!

I think my understanding of what 'cash' is may be wrong, but I do not want to treat negative invoice as 'cash', I want it to manifest as a self billed invoice.

A normal invoice is from us to them, and shows a breakdown of how much money they owe us. We make this invoice.
A self-billed invoice is from them to us, and shows a breakdown of how much money we owe them. We make this invoice, on their behalf.
Usually invoices from not-us to us are made by not-us, and would not be handled by Zuora unless not-us was also using Zuora. But we are in Zuora and want to use Zuora to make invoices to ourselves from our customers on their behalf and send these self-billed invoices to our customers.

To clarify, this question isn't about how Zuora *can* move money from us to them, its about whether Zuora can create a 'reverse' invoice from what it usually creates, a 'self-billed invoice'. We need Zuora to generate invoices, not refunds. A credit balance refund is a way to move money, but it does not meet our need to be able to create invoices, the self-billed kind. The receipt is just as important, the trail of paper.

"apply the credit balance as payment against invoices" - apply the credit balance as payment against OTHER invoices - not suitable for us as all invoices to a customer could be negative, and we need a (self-billed / normal) invoice each month, not a carry over approach.

From the second link: "In the product economy, negative invoices are not possible", does Zuora only work for product economy?

This question is specifically about self billed invoices. If Zuora is capable of making self billed invoices, I suppose it would specifically say 'self bill(ed/ing) invoice(s)' somewhere in the documentation. It is not possible to make (self billed) invoices using Zuora then. Has this been requested before to the Zuora devs?

Thanks!

Zuora Alumni

Hello, 

I'm not sure if it has been requested before, but we highly value the opinions of our customers in shaping the future of the Zuora application.

We have a Product Ideas Community where you can post your feature request and solicit direct input from the Product Management Team. You can also vote on features and post comments. The Product Management Team actively monitors the community and provides updates on feature requests when available.

In addition to our community, we have a quarterly product roadmap webinar delivered by the Product Management team. In this webinar, you will learn about our upcoming plans for feature development. To enroll, you can sign up here.

Have a nice day!

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √