Happy Business Starts Here

Highlighted
Student

Paypal Express Checkout - getting the "authGateway" field to go to Paypal Payment Gateway

EDIT:  For future reference if others find this post, I was never able to get the authGateway property on my paymentMethod to behave as it suggests.  No matter what, the default gateway was the gateway used.  I'm going forward with just flipping paymentGateway at Customer Account level.  Smiley Sad

Original Post

I'm trying to implement PayPal express checkout into my current Zuora environment.   What I'm hoping to get working is to have Paypal become a PaymentMethod, that will then go to the Paypal gateway I have that is active, and not my default gateway which is Auth.net.   

Here's my general layout:

I have two active Payment gateways, Auth.net (set as default) and Paypal Payflow Pro.    

My problem:

When I create a Paypal Express Checkout Payment method (this part works), I then try to set it as the DefaultPaymentMethodId.  (this part fails).   What I get is:

"Authorize gateway does not support PayPal payment method. Please specify a gateway that supports this payment method."

Which to me suggests that my Auth.net gateway is being used.   Looking here PayPal Payment Method,  the property "authGateway" suggests that by setting the authGateway on the creation of the PaymentMethod,  the PaymentMethod won't go to through my default Auth.net gateway, but go through the gateway I set.    

Long story short, has anyone been able to get a PayPal Express checkout PaymentMethod to go to the Paypal PayFlow Pro gateway via this "authGateway" property?   I don't wish to change the default gateway on the Customer Account level.   

Any help is appreciated, I can edit and explain better if needed.  Thank you. 

5 REPLIES 5
Valued Scholar

Re: Paypal Express Checkout - getting the "authGateway" field to go to Paypal Payment Gate

Have you tried setting the Gateway on the Account?  You would need to have that set to PayPal (however you named it in the Gateway settings) on the Account before you set the default payment method.

Student

Re: Paypal Express Checkout - getting the "authGateway" field to go to Paypal Payment Gate

If I change the gateway at the customer account level, that does work.   I am trying to avoid that due to the system having multiple ways for billing (a la carte purchases, reoccuring, etc).  Changing it there would mean I would be doubling the complexity of my interaction by having to flip it back and forth between gateways, since I'm still trying to use Auth.net gateway for all interactions besides this one.   

Valued Scholar

I would definitely love to hear if there are other options out there, but that's what we have to do ourselves - additional complexity when a customer is changing / adding different payment methods (we also support credit cards and PayPal).

Student

Did you ever explore the "authGateway" property on Payment Method?  I am hoping someone has had success, or explored it prior.   I have an integration test that basically has it set up as lean as possible, but no success. 

Support SME

Hi @jbeckner ,

This might not help a lot to the issue you'd like to solve but just some information for your reference.

The payment gateway specified as authGateway in the create payment method request will only be used for the Authorization request when adding the payment method. It won't affect which payment gateway will be used for the payments will be processed with this payment method.

The reason there is a dependency between the account level payment gateway and the default payment method of the account is that the default payment method will be used to process payment in Payment Runs when AutoPay is enabled so we need to make sure the default payment method is supported by the account payment gateway.

But the description about authGateway in our API Reference is a little confusing and we'll reach out to our documentation team to improve it. 

Smiley Happy Thank you for pointing it out for us!

Regards,

Yolanda

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √