Happy Business Starts Here

Payment not processed: You passed an empty string for 'customer'

Highlighted
Zuora Support

Payment not processed: You passed an empty string for 'customer'

Problem:

Payment Error with ACH and Stripe. We are seeing the below error when customers are trying to add a new bank account. Can you please investigate?

Payment not processed: You passed an empty string for 'customer'. We assume empty values are an attempt to unset a parameter; however 'customer' cannot be unset. You should remove 'customer' from your request or supply a non-empty value

Solution:

Looking at the ACH payment method which is used for the payment creation which got the error, was added through another payment gateway Authorize, while the payment was processed through Stripe

When using the ACH payment method to process payment through the Stripe payment gateway, it will require a customer id which should have been created when adding the payment method through Stripe.

Since the payment methods were added through Authorize, and there was no customer id generated and saved for them, so when using them directly to process payments, the error happens.

Suggesting to retry payment after updating the ACH payment methods used for the payment which got the You passed an empty string for 'customer' error."Updating the ACH payment methods" means edit the ACH payment method, edit the address, save it. Then edit it back to the original address, save it again. 

paymentmethod.JPG

That could help to trigger another Auth request(the request which being triggered when adding payment methods) to the gateway again to create customer id and save it.

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √