Highlighted
hdeschamps Master

Master

Master
Accepted Solution

Is there a way to pause an invoice going out?

Hi!  On occassion if the renewal is a bit tricky, our sales team requires an extra few days to get a signed order form for our renewal customers.  Is there a way to stop an invoice from going out on the exact renewal date, and instead go out when we have completed the negotiation, gotten the renewal Order Form, and made any changes to the subscription in Zuora?  

For example:

Subscription Start Date for annual subscription: August 10, 2016

Sales Rep is negotiating the renewal terms with the customer, which get finalized on August 15, 2017.

We'd like to:

• Stop the invoice from going out to the customer on August 10th
  • Have the invoice go out on August 15th, when we've gone in and backdated the updated subscription terms to August 10th.

Essentially, we would like to eliminate customer confusion by receving an invoice while we are still handling negotiations.

Thanks!

Heidi

AmyLy Grand Master ZEO

Grand Master ZEO

Grand Master ZEO

Re: Is there a way to pause an invoice going out?

Hi @hdeschamps,

This can be done in a few ways, but it is also dependent on how your invoices are being generated now.

I suspect you have scheduled bill runs that have the processing rule, "Automatically renew auto-renew subscriptions that are up for renewal" tset to true. If this is the case, your daily bill run on August 10th will do the renewal (creates the amendment for renewal), and then will generate the subsequent invoice.

One quick way of keeping this particular subscription from auto-renewing is to go into the subscription itself, and edit the basic information area toward the top to change the "Auto Renew" option and set that to "no." If this is set to know, it will not create a renewal amendment until you manually intercede at a later date.

This way, your sales folks can finish negotiation and you can process the additional amendments to make the desired changes (new product, remove old product, update product price/qty, etc) first. Then you can create the renewal amendment and generate a bill run for this customer with an invoice date = 08/10/2017 and turn the auto renew option on the subscription back to true.

If this is a one-off case, this is the fastest way I know to do it.

If there will be multiple cases of customers in this boat, you may wish to consider using customer batches to manage this.

You could leave the auto-renewal option on move this customer to Batch 2 - delayed processing (or whatever name you wish).

You then would make sure to not schedule a bill run for this batch so you can manually take care of this group of customers when ready.

Others may have some additional thoughts, but maybe one of these would work for your use case.

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

hdeschamps Master

Master

Master

Thanks for the reply!  I assumed this would work, until I realized I forgot to tell you that all of our subscriptions are evergreen, not termed.  Would this also work for evergreen subscriptions?

Thanks!

hdeschamps Master

Master

Master

@AmyLy, just wanted to check in on this.  Do you happen to know if this would work with evergreen subscriptions?  

8Ken Partner

Partner

Partner

@hdeschamps

No, because there is no "auto-renew" option for evergreen subscriptions. However, the second option of temporarily putting the customer into another Billing Batch (which is not included in the scheduled bill-runs) sounds like the most effective way of handling this.

AmyLy Grand Master ZEO

Grand Master ZEO

Grand Master ZEO

@hdeschamps@8Ken's correct with his previous note.

Evergreen subscriptions are not termed. They run until you tell them otherwise.

For this use case of pausing the invoice from going out, the billing batch option may work best for you.

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √