Happy Business Starts Here

How to charge a nonrecurring service period

Highlighted
Tutor

How to charge a nonrecurring service period

How do I create a per unit charge that has a service period and does not recur? For example, I want to sell quantities of a one day service, 14-day service, 30-day service, and a recurring subscription service. I can easily setup the last one, and I have tried a one-time charge for the other three. The problems are that I can't tell what the service dates were and I can't prorate if someone cancels a service half way through. I also looked into usage, but it didn't seem to fit my needs. An example invoice might be: 

Charge NameTypeStart DateEnd DateUnitsPrice/UnitCharge
Service X - SlotRecurring1/1/20171/31/20176$10$60
Service X - 14 dayOne Time1/3/20171/17/20171$15$15
Service X - 14 dayOne Time1/10/20171/24/20172$15$30
Service X - 1 dayOne Time1/12/20171/13/20172$5$10
Service X - 30 day - PRORATEDOne Time1/15/20171/31/20172$20$20
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Zuora Alumni
Zuora Alumni

Re: How to charge a nonrecurring service period

According your use cause,  if you set 14-day service, 30-day service as one time charge, there will be not have proration and service dates, it is only one day charge. If you want proration, must use recurring charge, but for recurring charege, the shortest billing period is week, not days. Please refer the following screenshot, this is a testing result for recurring charges, but the amount will calulated base on monthly.

Invoice.png

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

Highlighted
Tutor

@Jia I am not trying to prorate to 1 day, 14 days, or 30 days. Those are the service periods for the products. Those durations are not set in stone, but we are looking to sell something shorter than a month that does not auto renew. Think of the products as parking spaces. We want to sell an auto renew monthly pass, a 30-day non-renew pass, a 14-day non-renew pass, and a 1-day non-renew pass. A user can buy any number and any combination of those passes for a space. If you buy a non-renewing product, the service start date is the date of purchase and the end date is the number of days out the pass lasts. Our product catalog would look like this:

Auto-renew parking space pass: $20/month

30-day parking space pass: $25 one time

14-day parking space pass: $20 one time

1-day parking space pass: $10 one time

If I buy four 14-day parking spaces on 1/1/2017, but I decide I don't want two of them on day 10, I want to be able to prorate from two units with 4 of 14days left in the 14-day service period.

Highlighted
Zuora Alumni
Zuora Alumni

Thanks for your detailed information. 

For One Time Charge, we don't have service period concept, it is just one day charge. 

In your sample:

"If I buy four 14-day parking spaces on 1/1/2017, but I decide I don't want two of them on day 10, I want to be able to prorate from two units with 4 of 14days left in the 14-day service period."

Could you please explain more about this case, If the you don't want so use 2 of parking spaces on day 10, there are 4 days left for each, how to you want to handle? Do you want to add those two 4 days to other two parking spaces pass? You don't need to do any money back, right?

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

Highlighted
Tutor

Legally we are supposed to give a prorated refund or credit. The problem we are having is as you said, one-time charges are one-time. Also, for accounting, we have no way of knowing the dates for services rendered. We are piloting a small number of these sales, and our finance team is having to manually go in and add that service date information. If someone was to ask for a refund, our finance team again would need to update the service information and manually provide an invoice credit. 

Highlighted
Guru

If your plans can be modeled on a standard price per timeframe, then this could likely be done using a recurring charge with a specific end date specified.

So when you create the charge on the subscription to have specific start and end dates:

Screenshot 2017-02-10 08.58.11.png

This would cause it not to reoccur on the next billing cycle but should allow you to prorate a refund if its removed from the plan before its original end date.

As far as pricing is concerned, you would need to base the pricing on a monthly (or weekly) price value and the system would calculate off that based on the number of days (i.e. 14 days would equal 2x the weekly rate).