Happy Business Starts Here

Community Manager

How do I bill usages for a billing period which already has been invoiced?

See Reply

Subscribe to Zuora System Updates at Zuora Trust
Follow Zuora Global Support on Twitter and LinkedIn

2 REPLIES 2
Community Manager

Re: How do I bill usages for a billing period which already has been invoiced?

Problem Statement:

For our customers, we have situations where we would like to import usage for periods which already has been invoiced. These periods have been invoiced and those invoices has been posted. If I do a bill run again for this period, the usage is not billed.

My questions:

1) Is it correct you can't get usage for a specific period on the next invoice once that period already has been billed and the invoices has been posted? For example, if you already billed a customer for the period 01-01-2015 until 31-01-2015, and after you've posted that invoice you upload usage for that period, it is not possible to get that usage on a new invoice. Is that correct?

2) In this use case, is there a workaround for that? What are the best practices in these cases?

Solution:

1. Yes, you are correct. If a service period has been billed and Invoice has been posted for that period, Zuora consider that billing period has closed, therefore, even if you upload more usage records for the same period, it will not be billed again in the next Invoice.
  2. In your example, since the January period has been closed because the January Invoice has been posted, the workaround is for the customer to either a) use a New Product Amendment to add the same usage charge on the Subscription for January period; b) create a New Subscription with the same usage charge on the same Account for January period. Then they can create another Bill Run to generate Invoice for the extra usage records. Please also note that it is necessary to change the Charge Number or Subscription Number if those two fields were uploaded with the extra usage records.

Gotchas/Pitfalls

You should test out any workaround in your sandbox environment prior to making changes in Production.

Subscribe to Zuora System Updates at Zuora Trust
Follow Zuora Global Support on Twitter and LinkedIn

Newly Enrolled

Re: How do I bill usages for a billing period which already has been invoiced?

Is it the same thing if the invoice is not posted yet(status: draft)?

I mean, I thought the invoices are overwrited, if bill-run is re-processed until it's status will change into "posted".

Is it right that same thing happens to "Usage"?
(example: after the invoice has been created with status "draft", I upload usage to the same month. Then re-process the bill-run, we will get overwrited(or added) invoce)