Happy Business Starts Here

Support SME

How can I bill the Parent for Child's usages?

Question/Problem Statement:
How can we have the child's usage data roll-up to the Parent account?

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Support SME

Re: How can I bill the Parent for Child's usages?

Solution:

Use Aggregating Usage Billing. This functionality, together with Account hierarchy feature, will allow the usages from the Child account to roll-up to the Parent Account. All of the usage records are rated and billed to the Parent account, even if you have set the Child account as the invoice owner.

Scenarios:

•  If only the Parent owns the subscription, and the usages are only loaded for the Child account (note that a Child doesn't have to own a subscription), it is also possible to aggregate the usages to the Parent. This is done simply by indicating on the template the Child's Account Number and all other fields, except the subcription number and charge number. This scenario is suggested to avoid duplicate or double billing.

•  If the Child owns the subscription, please do note that the Parent must have a subscription matching the UOM of the Child. The Child's usages will be rated as if they were uploaded against the Parent account, provided that the Subscription Number or Charge Number are not in the usage upload. Be cautious on invoicing this scenario as usages could be accounted for both Child and Parent (duplicate billing) since the subcription number and charge number are not indicated on the template.

To aggregate usage:

1. First navigate to Z-Billing > Settings > Define Billing Rules, and enable the Include usage from Child accounts when billing? = Yes

2. In this sample:

A Parent account is associated with two Child accounts using Account Hierarchy function.

> Load the usages for Child 1 and Child 2.

Children.png

3. On the Parent account's page, check Include usage belonging to all Child accounts of this customer account and create a bill run with target date to bill in arrears.

Screen Shot 2016-06-12 at 4.00.22 PM.png

4. In the invoice page screenshot below, there are 50 usages uploaded for each Child.

INV.png

Referenced article: Aggregate the Usage Billing of Child Accounts

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

Valued Scholar

So you're saying that there's no way for a child account to contain the subscription and the invoice be created on the parent account?

The scenario we have is that there are 1 or more children accounts, each with their own subscriptions and rate plans, which may have different rates. We can't put the subscription on the parent account since the rates may be different per child. Is this scenario possible?

Valued Scholar

Hi Phil - we setup subscriptions on the children and bill off the parent.  You just need to setup the parent as the invoice owner.

Valued Scholar

Ok, thanks. I'll check into this. After reading some of the docs, it appears we do not have that feature enabled since the option to transfer the invoice ownership is not there.