Happy Business Starts Here

Support SME

Error "PAYPALEC Gateway Does Not Support Credit Card Payment Method"

Question or Problem Statement:

When set PayPal ExpressCheckout as default payment gateway for an account via update call, we might encounter the following error response:

Error Code: INVALID_VALUE

Error Message: PayPalEC gateway does not support Credit Card payment method. Please specify a gateway that supports this payment method.

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

7 REPLIES 7
Support SME

Re: ERROR "PAYPALEC GATEWAY DOES NOT SUPPORT CREDIT CARD PAYMENT METHOD"

Solution:

This error occurs when an account has a default payment method which is a credit card.

To resolve it, please execute an update call to change the default payment method of the account to "other" then you will be able to set PayPal EC as default payment gateway for an account.

Supporting References:

http://knowledgecenter.zuora.com/BC_Developers/SOAP_API/E1_SOAP_API_Object_Reference/Account

Newly Enrolled

the 'Type' field is not updatable for the object PaymentMethod. Is there another way through the api to update the payment method to 'Other'?

Highlighted
Valued Scholar

I am encountering exact same problem. I try to switch the payment method of an account from a CC type to Payal EC type. I tried to follow the suggestion here, but there is a filed in Account object is DefaultPaymentMethodId which cannot accept "other" as a valid value. 

It seems to be that change the Account.PaymentGateway value to Paypal gateway is the very first step, but this update won't be successful if the DefaultPaymentMethodId is pointing to a CC type payment method.

Can you please provide some help?

Support SME

If it is to change the type of a credit card (e.g. from Visa to Master), we can use update() call to update field CreditCardType. But if it is the type of the payment method(e.g. from CreditCard to DebitCard) then we will have to recreate a payment method because as you've already noticed the filed Type does not support to be updated.

Zuora Alumni

Hi @grantni,

The format of the field 'DefaultPaymentMethodId' should be 32 characters long so value 'others' cannot be used in this field.

The 'others' mentioned in this article is one of the external payment methods which defined in Z-Payment setting > Payment Methods.

You can do a data source export on payment method object to figure out the Id of the external payment methods and use it in the update call eventually. Or doing an API query like below:

"Select Id From PaymentMethod where Type='Other'"

Hope it works for you.

Dennis

Valued Scholar

My problem has been solved. Here are the key factors to the api solution.

1.    Turn off the Auto-Pay
  2.    Switch the default paymentID to non-electronics payment method and swtich the Payment gateway to Paypal EC
  3.    Swith the default paymentID to paypal payment method.

The fist step is a necessary step.

Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your solution with the community, @grantni!

Lana Lee | Senior Community Manager and Strategist
"A little consideration, a little thought for others, makes all the difference." —A. A. Milne