Happy Business Starts Here

Re: Error: 54 -- The referenced transaction does not meet the criteria for issuing a credit.

Highlighted

Error: 54 -- The referenced transaction does not meet the criteria for issuing a credit.

Hello, 

I need to refund a client $157.91 for each transaction he's ever been charged since October of last year. I was able to go up to March and when I tried to refund February it began to give me this error. I waited, tried it again, and it keeps coming up. Is there a limit of refunds we can make? Or a time limit of how far back we can go? Is there someone who I can call to get help specifically for this issue.

Thank you!! 

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Valued Scholar

Re: Error: 54 -- The referenced transaction does not meet the criteria for issuing a credit.

This might be because there's a 6 month limit on refunding credit card transactions.  This seems to apply independent of the gateway you use.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi @edmarpetit ,

Have you tried the solution outlined in this post here?

Keep us posted,

Lana

Lana Lee | Senior Community Manager and Strategist
"A little consideration, a little thought for others, makes all the difference." —A. A. Milne
Highlighted

Do you mean six month limit on how back I can go? Or that I can only refund 6 transactions? 

Highlighted

Hi Lana, 

No, I still need to figure out how I can refund and why it's not allowing me to do so. Do you have any solutions? 

Thanks!

Highlighted
Zuora Support

Hi ,

Please be informed for electronic payments the time frame for Refund is controlled by the payment gateway and not at Zuora. Typically, a payment can be refunded for up to 90 days, but every gateway is different and some gateways do not allow refunds after 30 days.

When processing a refund for electronic payments, Zuora will attempt the refund at the gateway. If the refund is allowed by the gateway, the refund will be processed. However, if the time period in which a refund can performed has passed, then the gateway might return an error. 

The above information can be found in the below KC article as well.

https://knowledgecenter.zuora.com/Billing/Billing_and_Payments/K_Payment_Operations/Refunds/Creating...

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √