Happy Business Starts Here

Partner

Discount charge not applied to negative usage charge

Hello,

We are encountering a modelisation issue on Zuora.

We modelised a discount charge that works as a percentage of all the usage charges of the rate plan.

But what we are seeing is that this discount is applied to the positive usage charge BUT NOT applied to the negative usage charge (with the opposite sign as expected).

is this a normal behavior?

this is mandatory for our business since we use the negative charge to balance what have already been billed previously : and the amounts do not add up if the discount is applyed in a way and not in the other.

This is quite urgent and needed for a Production GoLive next week.

thanks,

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Zuora Staff

Re: Discount charge not applied to negative usage charge

Hi ,

It is by design. Reason being is that the purpose of discount charge is to lower the amount, with discount on a negative charge, the result would be increasing the amount instead. Therefore, regardless whether it is usage or not, this is not supported. Hope this helps. Thank you!

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

Highlighted
Zuora Alumni

Re: Discount charge not applied to negative usage charge

Hi hachemabidi, 

There is a workaround for this that may work for you.  For usage uploads our system only supports positive decimal amounts equal to or greater than 0, It does not support a negative usage quantity.

To achieve your goal to credit your customers via usage charges, you may create a Usage rate plan charge with a negative List Price. I would suggest that you use Per Unit Pricing Usage Charge model for this.  That way, when the positive usage is uploaded to this rate plan charge, the amount will be calculated as a negative charge. Which would produce the desired affect that you are looking for.

As for the discount... discounts are meant to apply to a positive charge amount. Since discounts are a decrease in value or negative amount and are meant to apply to positive charge amounts. It is my understanding based on previous use cases that the discount percentage does not work on negative amounts, and is not supported.

I also suggest that you please test this on your Sandbox tenant first and see if that will meet your needs. 

I hope that this was helpful.  Please let me know if you have more questions.

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √