Happy Business Starts Here

Zuora Staff

Bypass using Avatax on a small number of accounts in foreign countries

Question: We need to bypass using Avatax on a small number of accounts in foreign countries where we are not charging sales tax. We want to Zuora to not send transactions to Avatax on those select accounts. Is that possible? 

Use case: When we starting using Avatax, we did not anticipate issues with generating invoices for a small number of accounts in Central America. We don't have a tax presence in those countries and have never charged sales tax when using Z-tax. Now that we've switched to Avatax, Avatax is complaining about the address not being valid and we are struggling to figure out the correct address format. And, we don't want it to go to Avatax.

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Zuora Staff

Re: Bypass Avatax on selective customer accounts

Solution: 

I consulted with Avalara as the setting is on their end to calculate or not calculate tax.

Here is their response: "Generally speaking address validate can be bypassed by using the term "General Delivery" on line two of the address. Avatax only validates to the USPS and Canadian post database, so outside of US and Canada address validation is not perform. As for the Avalara configuration, Nexus is the setting that can be unselected for countries where you do not want to get a tax result."

Helpful articles:

https://help.avalara.com/kb/001/How_do_we_make_a_customer_tax_exempt_for__VAT%3F

https://help.avalara.com/kb/001/In_Which_Countries_Does_Avalara_AvaTax_Support_Address_Validation%3F

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

Tags (3)
Valued Scholar

Re: Bypass Avatax on selective customer accounts

By doing this, does this mean that those companies which don't have tax calculated by Alvatax can have their tax calculated in Zuora by using the Tax Codes defined there?  Thanks