Happy Business Starts Here

Support SME

Renewal Billing Report

I am looking to find a way to know much of my net billings (product and billing term) are renewal vs. new. Am I able to get this in one report? If not, what combination of reports would I need to run to get this information?

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Support SME

Re: Renewal Billing Report

You can generally tell whether an invoice item is related to a renewal or new subscription by looking at the Subscription: Term Start Date and the Subscription: Subscription Start Date:

• if the term start date and subscription start date are the same, it's a new subscription
  • if they are different, this should be a subscription that has been renewed for another term

Because of this logic, you will need to pull the data from our reporting feature and match up the dates in Excel and filter accordingly. We do not have an out-of-box method of accomplishing this exact report.

To start, you can use the "Gross billing over time" default report. From this report you can add the fields Subscription: Term Start Date and the Subscription: Subscription Start Date.

For more information please check out our Knowledge Center article regarding Customizing a Standard Report.

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

Valued Scholar

I do not see the Gross Billing over time report.

I tried using the invoice report but that didn't have subscription information.
I tried using the invoice item but that has multiple rows for the same invoice(mainly for expansions and refunds).

I'm looking to get a report that shows all invoicing with a column that shows Net invoice amount (so exclude lines for refund/negative invoices and apply those to one of the positive invoices),
Quantity (Net quantity and not total new quantity, i.e. if customer expands from 5 to 10 seats I want it to show 5 for the invoice and not 10)
Subscription Term Start Date
Subscription Start Date
Subscription Term End Date
Subscription End Date
Type: New, Upgrade/Downgrade, Renewal -> If we can't get this and this needs to be calculcated in excel that is fine based on the logic mentioned above.

Savvy Scholar

Is there a more accurate rate to do this?  While the below statement may be true, but mid-term upgrades would also be factored into the calculus. 

• if the term start date and subscription start date are the same, it's a new subscription
  • if they are different, this should be a subscription that has been renewed for another term"

What that means is if you're trying to show a table of all accounts and their historical renewals to estimate future billing, you'd inadvertently underreport those upgrades.

Imagine the following:

Jan 19 - $100 (one year contract)

Feb 19 - $50 (upgrade)

The expectation from this table would be a way to project $150 billing in Jan 2020.  But because of the way the data is structured, the projection would now be $100 in Jan 2020, and then another $50 in Feb 2020.