Happy Business Starts Here

Newly Enrolled

multiple usages billing

We have a need for billing based on a combination of usages for example we have a formula that will generate cost based on 3 parameters - Number of users, hours of use by user and number of objects created. We can get all this usage information from our tool using say FlexNet operations. Now, I want to feed all these 3 usages into a formula to calculate cost. Can I do it?

4 REPLIES 4
Valued Scholar

Re: multiple usages billing

Hi sitarmks,

While I appreciate this isn't exactly an answer to your question, I suggest you test this out in your sandbox. Best way to know what's possible or not is to try it!

It sounds like you have three units of measure: # of users, hours of use, and # of objects. You'll create three charges based upon your pricing model. E.g. per unit, tiered, etc. Zuora will rate the usage based upon the charges you created and result in a "cost".

Example Usage Upload

- Jeff
Newly Enrolled

Thanks Jeff for the reply. This would create 3 different costs. You talk about "rate the usage". Does it mean I can add a weightage to each charge and then create a comprehensive charge? I will try but just wanted to confirm if there is a feature supporting it.

Valued Scholar

I think I understand better. We should use the same nomenclature. I think you're using costs and charges interchangably. You are correct, that sample usage file will result in three seperate charges. Whereas you want to treat the three almost like a bundle. As far as I know, you can only have one unit of measure per product rate plan charge. Looks like you want to have three units of measure in one product rate plan charge. I'm sure you have a valid use case for this. Two things I could think of:

1. create this "comprehensive charge" calculation before sending usage to Zuora. This means you're doing all the heavy lifting and it's likely not desirable to build your own rating engine outside of Zuora.

2. create three distinct charges, but only present the "comprehensive charge" to the customer. You could sum merge fields in the invoice template and make it look like the three components make up one single charge, but they are in fact seperate.

I do something similar on a very basic scale. One of my products has two units of measure. Call them throughput and hours. Both are tiered charges and have different units of measure. In our product, we show the customer "current charges" and working on "projected charges". This is simply a sum of the two.

- Jeff
Newly Enrolled

Thanks. That's what I expected. Either I have to do a pre or post processesing.

Thanks again.