Happy Business Starts Here

Getting "Authentication failed" when configuring the External SMTP server with (office365)?

Highlighted
Zuora Alumni

Getting "Authentication failed" when configuring the External SMTP server with (office365)?

Question:

I tried to configure office365 as my external SMTP server but kept getting the error "Authentication failed." and "Authentication required."

How can I fix it?

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Zuora Alumni

Re: Getting "Authentication failed" when configuring the External SMTP server with (office

Response:

Office365 requires that the "From" email address be the same as the address used for establishing the connecting during SMTP server setup. For more information see:

Troubleshoot email sent from devices and business applications

In Zuora, when configuring the External SMTP Server, the email address set for the whole tenant will be used as "From" address.

It is required that you use same email address/email account when establishing the connection to Office 365.

You will need to use the tenant email address account in the two settings below:

- To configure tenant email: Settings>Administration Settings>Manage Tenant Profile>edit Basic Information
- To configure External SMTP server: Settings>Administration Settings>Manage External SMTP Server>edit External SMTP Server Configuration Settings 

Note: The email address/account being used must have privileges to login and send email in Office 365.

For more information about how to use Office 365 from application, please refer to below document from Microsoft:

How to set up a multifunction device or application to send email using Office 365

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Zuora Alumni

Re: Getting "Authentication failed" when configuring the External SMTP server with (office

Response:

Office365 requires that the "From" email address be the same as the address used for establishing the connecting during SMTP server setup. For more information see:

Troubleshoot email sent from devices and business applications

In Zuora, when configuring the External SMTP Server, the email address set for the whole tenant will be used as "From" address.

It is required that you use same email address/email account when establishing the connection to Office 365.

You will need to use the tenant email address account in the two settings below:

- To configure tenant email: Settings>Administration Settings>Manage Tenant Profile>edit Basic Information
- To configure External SMTP server: Settings>Administration Settings>Manage External SMTP Server>edit External SMTP Server Configuration Settings 

Note: The email address/account being used must have privileges to login and send email in Office 365.

For more information about how to use Office 365 from application, please refer to below document from Microsoft:

How to set up a multifunction device or application to send email using Office 365

View solution in original post